MIDI Only Plugin

Hope this is the right place to ask this question, pardon if it is not.

I am just trying to figure out how, if possible, to build a MIDI Only plugin.

I have an idea for an chord revoicing plugin which I want to try out [and maybe learn a bit about CoreAudio/CoreMIDI]. My question is, it is possible to build a 'MIDIUnit' plugin [like one would build an AudioUnit]?

I can't really find any guides or anything online to indicate this, and I am not sure if it is something that an AudioUnit would do but you just instruct the AudioUnit it is MIDI only.

I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions or pointers where I can look for answers?

Thanks

Stan

Replies

Sounds like you're talking about the kAudioUnitType_MIDIProcessor AU type. AUs of this type are described as processing midi input and producing midi output only, they do not produce any audio.

We're working to update the Audio Unit Examples (AudioUnit Effect, Generator, Instrument and Offline) sample code to include one of these AUs shortly, but in the meantime e-mail DTS and they should be able to send you just the 'aumi' project you can check out.

Hi analog kid!

It's been a while since you wrote about the sample code rewrite.

Isn't now the right time to publish it? 😉

An update to AULab to handle V3 Audio Units would be nice, too. 🙂

This thread is over a year old. Any update available? I am interested in writing some MIDI-only plugins to control external hardware.

Well yes, the sample code discussed above was updated back in February to include a MIDI Processor AU example.

AudioUnitMidiProcessorExample - Builds a pass through midi processor. AU's of this type process midi input and produce midi output but do not produce any audio.

RE "Sounds like you're talking about the kAudioUnitType_MIDIProcessor AU type. AUs of this type are described as processing midi input and producing midi output only, they do not produce any audio."

I note that in iOS11 AUv3 plugins can now send MIDI.

But when can we create and host AUv3 MIDI Effect ( MIDI Filter ) plugins in iOS?

OSX has had this for some time now.