Commcenter CPU usage / battery drain

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone as seen something similar.

I'm currently on Beta 4.

I experienced the battery drain on Beta 1, but betas 2-4 have been fine for battery life, so I had no complains so far.

I've just switched networks to an MVNO on EE in the UK. TPO / The People's Operator.

As soon as I popped my SIM in my iPhone 6 64gb, battery drain and device temperature has been a tad intense.

As soon as I take the SIM out, and put in either giffgaff (another MVNO on O2) or Three SIM, everything is fine again.

I've connected to my Mac, and used Xcode-Instruments-Activity Monitor, and can see that with the TPO SIM, commcenter is ~100 CPU usage, and with other SIMs it's back down to "normal" levels of CPU usage.

I'm not sure if this is an iOS 9 bug, a fault SIM, or a bad settings profile from TPO (I have to download one to get the settings loaded, as EE restrict changing APNs. I've tried with and without the profile, same results).

Any suggestions?

I might try 8.4 for a few hours to see how that goes, although I'm going to try my SIM in another iPhone 6 on 8.4 tonight so that could rule that out. I'll try a clean install of Beta 4 too maybe. And results depending, might give Beta 3 a try.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Replies

Problem still present after updating to iOS 9 beta 5. Slightly worse, I now can't get mobile data. Not sure if this is a bug in iOS 9, a sim issue, or a network settings profile issue. I have a replacement SIM coming in case that's the fault. I did try my SIM in another iPhone 6 on 8.4, and that shown no service. So hopefully it's just a faulty SIM. Will report back once that arrives, and to file a bug report if need be.

I have my replacement SIM, and that seemed to fix the commcenter + overheating + battery usage issue.

Unfortunately, it hasn't fixed the "no data" sim.

Seems iOS 9 beta 5 is ignoring custom APN settings for some MVNOs.

I've filed a bug report, but won't be able to noticed if the issue is fixed as I'm going to have to switch networks for now.

hi

i was having the same problem. Was checking battery usage and found Facebook was always running in the background. Closed app and turned off background app refresh and all is good now.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem as you with an EE SIM ONLY card. A swap to a replacement SIM for the same account didn't work but getting a SIM for a new contract account worked. I'm not sure whether it's a setting difference between SIM ONLY and monthly contracts (APN differences?) or if simply I had some carrier features enabled on the SIM ONLY plan that surfaced the commcenter bug (EU data and WiFi calling are the only two carrier settings I can think of).

I wish I had known that this was a workaround 3 weeks ago. My phone has been a hand warmer since beta 5.

This is what I am seeing... (see attached image) High CPU with EE, all ok without SIM and SIM from other company