Multiplatform app and consumable inapps

I have a multiplatform app (not only apple platform) and implemented one license for the app. I have a webserver to make the license available across all the platforms. I use consumable in-apps to implement it. License is bought, added to a webserver and consumed. It's consumable because it should be added to a webserver only once. Everything was fine until now. (1.5 years since initial app release for iOS) Now my app got rejected. According to the app review I use incorrect in-app type. (I disputed that I have multiplatform app but they keep rejecting my app).

I understand that if I had a one platform app I would use non-consumable in-apps. But since I already have crossplatform licenses I don't need to have complexity of having a hybrid licensing. As for now licensing is clear to the customers they buy once and use on all platforms. With suggested scheme I will only have non-multiplatform license and will have to confuse people how licensing works.

Replies

Why did you choose a consumable IAP? Why not make it a non-consumable IAP? That way the iOS user can easily delete and reinstall the app and transfer rights to another device owned by the user. What's wrong with a non-consumable IAP?

But, I assume you have a reasonable answer for that.

Do I read your description correctly - even though the IAP is a consumable, the purchased license by the user is permanent. Once they 'consume' the IAP, their license lasts forever and you have put in place some method for the user to transfer the rights to another device owned by that user - iOS (and Android)? If that is correct then you can certainly appeal to App Review informing them that the purchase is made 'non-consumable' through your app's functionality. Point out that the license lasts forever and that the license is restoreable to other devices. This 'technique' (i.e. consumable IAP results in a non-consumable purchase) is used by other apps in a 'token' system - the tokens are purchased as a consumable IAP and are consumed but the tokens are exchanged for products that are non-consumables. App Review has often accepted this consumable-non-consumable swap. You would need to explain why you chose a consumable IAP.

>Now my app got rejected.

What did you change between the previous version that was accepted, and the one being rejected now? Was it because the original was iOS only and the new version isn't?

> I have a webserver to make the license available across all the platforms. I use consumable in-apps to implement it. License is bought, added to a webserver and consumed. It's consumable because it should be added to a webserver only once.

Thanks for that detail - it explains why you choose to use a consumable IAP, however, can you explain why you said both of these statements:

>I have a multiplatform app

>I disputed that I have multiplatform app

I appealed and explained why I used it, but seems like they are reluctant to listen.

Just to be clear here is what I have in our correspondense with appstore:

1. Appstore

Guideline 3.1.1 - Payments - Payments - In-App Purchase

We noticed that your in-app purchase product is set to an incorrect product type.

Licenses are set to consumable.

Next Steps

Based on product functionality, please use the non-consumable in-app purchase product type. Non-consumable products are only purchased once by users and are always available on all devices that are associated with that user's App Store account

2. Me

Hello, we use consumable purchases almost a year now.

You said that our license is not available on other users devices, but it's not correct.

Our licenses are only purchased once by users and are available on all user's iOS devices. So, it does not contradict your guidelines.

3. Me

In particular we have a multiplatform app and use consumable in-apps because we need to add license only once to our web-server.

3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired in your app on other platforms or your web site, including consumable items in multiplatform games, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.

4. They

Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback, however, your app is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines. To comply with Guideline 3.1.1, it would be appropriate to use the non-consumable in-app purchase product type for licenses.

Please revise your app to resolve this issue.

Your explanation for why you use consumables is insufficient. Here are some comments:

Hello, we use consumable purchases almost a year now.

This statement carries no weight. It is irrelevant.

You said that our license is not available on other users devices, but it's not correct. Our licenses are only purchased once by users and are available on all user's iOS devices.

But you did not explain how the user can get the license on a different device or how they can get the license restored on a device after they delete the app and reinstall the app on that device.

So, it does not contradict your guidelines.

It does violate the guideline - you should be using a non-consumable IAP

As I posted above, you need to explain how the user can restore the license on a device after deleting and reinstalling the app and how the user can get the license on a different device. Only then have you demonstrated that your 'consumable' is handled as a non-consumable'. You need to explain why you are using a consumable IAP rather than a non-consumable IAP. Your statement above that "it should be added to a webserver only once" is weak - there are many ways for that webserver to detect a 'restore' and reissue the preexisting license. App Review may be unconvinced that you are really restoring the purchase to other devices (or after a delete/reinstall on a device) since your concern about "....added to a webserver only once" seems to preclude the restore function. And you never explain why your webserver has this limitation.

And finally - why did you bring up the Multiplatform Service? That has nothing to do with the consumable/non-consumable problem.

Thanks a lot, I'm not a connoisseur of the guidelines, that's why I asked this question. I've opened dispute and told them all the stuff I described here.

I read below that you wrote "Thanks, I think I will use subscription in case of furher rejection."

A subscription expires after a certain time period.

Does your 'consumable license' expire after a certain time period?

Currently it's a lifetime license, but in case of changing licensing I will consider switching to subscription. I know the difference between subscription and IAP.