Why doesn't this keyboard layout work?

I created a *.keylayout usingthis document as a guide.

Here is a concise version of my *.keylayout (full). If you would like to try it, copy it and save it to `~/Library/Keyboard Layouts/` under the name `test.keylayout`. Then add it in input source of Keyboard of System Preference.

Now I have two problems.

• ANSI to JIS inherits the `keyMap`, but no other inheritance works.
  • Cannot type an Entity reference such as `<`.

Details are the following.

ANSI to JIS inherits the `keyMap`, but no other inheritance works.

The documentation also says "Virtual key codes not overridden are copied from the base element." I thought that `baseMapSet` should not be the same, so I tried to create `baseMapSet` for each index, but it didn't work.

Of course, it would work if I wrote everything without using baseMap, but I don't want to do it because it's too weak and hard to change.

Cannot type an Entity reference such as `<`.

It worked in the older version. It does not work even if you remove `baseMap`.

How do I make a working *.keylayout?

Accepted Reply

>I created a *.keylayout usingthis document as a guide.

Not sure using an 11 year old guide was the best choice... As well, it's never a good idea to ask for support for something that outdated - pretty much gaurantees a square peg/round hole result.

Instead, why not use something like ukelele to make what you want, then save/ship it with your application, scripting it into the appropriate location, etc.

h ttps://beebom.com/how-modify-or-create-custom-keyboard-layouts-mac/

Replies

>I created a *.keylayout usingthis document as a guide.

Not sure using an 11 year old guide was the best choice... As well, it's never a good idea to ask for support for something that outdated - pretty much gaurantees a square peg/round hole result.

Instead, why not use something like ukelele to make what you want, then save/ship it with your application, scripting it into the appropriate location, etc.

h ttps://beebom.com/how-modify-or-create-custom-keyboard-layouts-mac/

Oh, I missed the reply and thanks you for replying!
I asked a question on the ukelele forum and ended up copying and pasting the whole thing.

(I wish there was a notification on here)