[iOS Safari] Fullscreen API on a non-video element

webkitEnterFullScreen API is supported on iOS for video element, but not for a div element. Also as a fullscreen demo website shown, Safari on macOS supports div element but not on iOS.

Is there any plan to add the support in iOS? If not is there any way to fullscreen a div element or make it run as fullscreen on Safari iOS?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of chen209 Down vote post of chen209
18k views
  • Please Apple, what are your developers doing? Allow Fullscreen API in DIV elements on iPhone.

• This is important. What's apple doing??

Add a Comment

Replies

Calling the fullscreen API on an arbitrary element is available on iPadOS. Thanks for the request to make it available on iOS.
Calling the fullscreen API on an arbitrary element DOES NOT WORK on my iPadOS, 7th generation.
The screenfull.js demo does not work either. Anybody knows how I can make it work?

PS. I tried to use both Chrome and Safari on my IPAD. In both of the browsers, web page does not go to fullscreen.
The fullscreen API works ok on iPadOS (webkit prefixes required) - I just tested it today on a 5th gen iPad. The biggest issue is that when an input is focused, it bounces out of full screen mode, so that has to be detected, and the user has to interact to bring it back into fullscreen mode if that's appropriate.

Still no luck on iPhones - doesn't seem to be supported. An installable webapp (PWA) will probably work better, but that's not the same as the fullscreen API (eg you can't fullscreen a specific element).

Please we need Fullscreen API in DIV elements for iPhone!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Mat3 Down vote reply of Mat3

Indeed we need this on iOS

According to the Browser Compatibility table on the Mozilla Developer Network, the Fullscreen API is only partially supported in Safari on iOS and uses a nonstandard name.

Hopefully, Apple allows this in the near future as they had in the past.

we need this, all other browsers support this. why apple does not support?

yes, what are the engineers doing everyday in Apple??? How incredible you don't make such easy api!!!

Add a Comment

This. Is. Something. Required.

No progress?????

It's obviously a strategy from Apple to NOT support the Fullscreen API, it's now the only thing left that prevents people from making full-blown web-based games, and that would of course be a disaster for the App Store... Apple has sadly become the new Microsoft ;-( it breaks my heart...

• Sad but true

• It should be possible to use canvas APIs to stream a canvas to a video media element and use the full screen API with the web kit prefix on iPhone iOS. In order to provide interaction, you could capture events falling on the video surface and project them onto the canvas giving you theoretically full interactivity without needing Apple to implement something different

Add a Comment

This isn't even supported on a video element, maybe do that first????

Hi all! I have a little question: Where is the Fullscreen Api on ios 16.1? How can i turn it on?

• Hello,

I would like to inquire whether there are any plans to implement the Fullscreen API in future versions of Safari for iOS? Having this crucial API supported across all versions would be immensely beneficial for developers like me, as it would enable us to create more immersive and user-friendly web applications for Safari users

Add a Comment

Please bring back full-screen API. We can't use full-screen video mode on Google Drive. Everyone faces this problem only on iPhones. But with Other OS like Android, everything works perfectly. Please bring Full-Screen API on iOS.

Safari's Fullscreen API implementation was updated and unprefixed in Safari 16.4 on macOS and iPadOS.

Now, in Safari 17.2 beta, Fullscreen API is supported on iPhone.

We'd love to have you help test Safari 17.2 beta. If you find any issues, provide your feedback at bugs.webkit.org.

Hi @Apple Staff

I've been on linked 17.2 Beta Release Notes but I could not find any mention of fullscreen API. In particular, I'd like to understand what parts of API are implemented and what parts are not, or maybe partially implemented.

Where can I find more details? Thanks