Game Invite: got to New Message directly?

Hey,

Making a turn-based game using Game Center. It has three ways to play:

1. Pass and Play.

2. Play online with a random opponent.

3. Play online with an invted friend.

Ideally I would have these options all showing in the menu. Which means I need to be able to show the "New Message" controller when the player picks option 3. Currently, option 2 and 3 are collapsed into one, as I present the GKMatchmakerViewController.

I have not yet been able to find out how to directly present the "New Message" controller (the one presented when the player taps "Invite Friends" in the match maker). Can anyone help me out here?

Accepted Reply

I talked to Apple at WWDC 2020 and was told that this is not possible. We cannot present the "New Message" controller directly - which the match maker shows after tapping the Invite Friends button when creating a new match. That message controller can only be created by match maker.

However, as an alternative or workaround, we can integrate nicely the friends and previous player list (which we can populate with an API call) and have the player pick players from that list. This means avoiding the Match Maker and New Message altogether.

Replies

I talked to Apple at WWDC 2020 and was told that this is not possible. We cannot present the "New Message" controller directly - which the match maker shows after tapping the Invite Friends button when creating a new match. That message controller can only be created by match maker.

However, as an alternative or workaround, we can integrate nicely the friends and previous player list (which we can populate with an API call) and have the player pick players from that list. This means avoiding the Match Maker and New Message altogether.