MBPr frozen after beta 6

The past few seeds all caused my MBPr (early 2012) to freeze at the black and white progress bar around 50-66%. After waiting each time about an hour, I forced it to reboot and it just went in, got the recovered from a crash screen, submitted logs to Apple and went on my merry way. Now last night it is refusing to get in. I tried holding Shift during boot, tried single user mode, but I really didn't know what I look for in why this is crashing/freezing. I see others having similar issues too but couldn't find any solutions so I apologise in advance if this is a duplicate.

Verbose boot log:

AirPort: RSN handshake completed on en0
Unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
VBoxFltDrv: version 4.3.28 r100309
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Paclet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe
IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe ProductID - 0x8296 FirmwareVersion - 0x0151
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
**** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][start] -- completed -- result = TRUE -- 0x2008 ****
**** [BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][start] -- Completed (matched on Device) -- 0x2000 ****
pci pause: SDXC
en1: promiscuous mode enable succeeded
en2: promiscuous mode enable succeeded
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlOperatingMode Setting the AWDL operation mode from SUSPENDED to AUTO
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlAutoMode Resuming AWDL
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlOperatingMode Setting the AWDL operation mode from AUTO to SUSPENDED
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlSuspendedMode() Suspending AWDL, enterQuietMode(true)
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlOperatingMode Setting the AWDL operation mode from SUSPENDED to AUTO
Can't get kextd port.

Replies

Hi,

There are still a number of avenues to explore:

Have you tried re-installing OS X from Recovery Mode? (it won't affect your user data)

What happens when you boot tinto Single User Mode? What did you do in that mode?

What is the last line of the boot with verbose output before it crashes (boot holding cmd+V to find out)

Have you already tried NVRAM and SMC resets?

In single user I moved the iCloud Account folder. Found something on the Yosemite forum suggesting it. It made no change so I reverted. I did reset/clear the PRAM also to no avail.

With the verbose output I got:

Screen shot of verbose screen

It was too much to retype so I took a pic from my iPhone.

I don't know why it is still be moderated, the screen shot, so I just typed it up...

Sorry for the delay.

AirPort: RSN handshake completed on en0
Unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Paclet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe
IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe ProductID - 0x8296 FirmwareVersion - 0x0151
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
Can't get kextd port.
**** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][start] -- completed -- result = TRUE -- 0x2008 ****
**** [BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][start] -- Completed (matched on Device) -- 0x2000 ****
pci pause: SDXC
en1: promiscuous mode enable succeeded
en2: promiscuous mode enable succeeded
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlOperatingMode Setting the AWDL operation mode from AUTO to SUSPENDED
IO80211AWDPeerManager::setAwdlSuspendedMode() Suspending AWDL, enterQuietMode(true)
Can't get kextd port.

These forums are about to be closed (OS X 10.11 Beta Forum Closing)

I should point out that I'm not affiliated with Apple in any way, but if you would like to request personal help, please contact me on MacMax108@gmail.com

-Max

I hope you don't mind me trying to utilise your question - the problem is that there are about 6 threads on here currently about PB 4 / DB 6 install failiures and about half of the people posting to them show evidence of having the exact issue you're having - many of them having just updated to the Public Beta that was released less than a day ago.

This thread could potentially clarify the situation for many of them and, with your Linux experience, you are in a good position to construct and test a command to find them (/remove them) from SUM.

Thinking about it now, I think the timing is accurate as to when seed 4, 5, and 6 failed on reboot as I had VB installed then and it seemed find except for updates and I didn't realise that was the cause. I regret not bringing in my MBP today as with struggling so much yesterday and kept waiting for the moderating queue, my battery finally depleted. But, soon as I get a chance, I will try these things out. I appreciate your helping me!

I deleted a lot of vbox stuff, but it still freezes. jsut by examining the verbose log, id dint see anything vbox related, though just kext littered about. how did you think it was virtualbox realted though because it seems like a kernel extension might be causing it, but i can't seem to find any vbox extensions anywhere, evenw hen using kextstat and find.

I did this in the mounted SUM and while I did delete a lot of vbox stuff, it still freezes at 99% and the verbose looks very similar as it did before. Hmnmm.

If you can do that and take a picture after it has stopped then we'll know more. There's no way to post an image directly to the site so the only way is to upload to an image hoster and remover the http :// from the link (otherwise it will automatically go into moderation for many days because of the link to a non-Apple domain)

I just realised that you actually did that already because an old reply of yours (just out of moderation presumably) appeared near the top of this thread...

Yeah, it is stopping at the same point after removing all traces of Vbox. i even manually ran the commands from the .tool file the dmg gave originally (i already erased the installer). I deleted littlesnitch kext as well as I saw some feedback from others on it. But, still freezes, the screen looks about the same now as it did then.

It's a good picture 🙂

I'm assuming that there's no longer any mention of VBoxFltDrv for VBoxAdpDrv?

It's also worth resetting your NVRAM after this kind of thing (and that alone has enabled some to boot into Safe Mode where they couldn't before):

NVRAM Reset:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Hold down Command, Option (left side), P and R keys while you switch on and continue holding them until you hear the restart sound a second time.

Thanks... I made sure I cleaned the screen beforehand lol.

Though, I did reset the nvram a few times already... This is really bizarre.

I've troubleshot these PB4 / DB6 failed-install issues with upwards of 10 people now - in all cases but one (for him, even SUM was unavailable) interpreting the kexts and removing them fixed the issue. One person had to go back to a pre-DB6 Time Machine backup to erase their VBox kexts before booting normally was unimpeded. Perhaps the same applies to you (I don't know why it should make a difference - maybe it's a question of how far the post install reboot gets before crashing...)

would removing all the kexts help since there are so many kext listed but doesn't mention which one. the sdxc something i read said to put in a flash card into it? the last thing i did before rebooting was attempting to import data from my camera. it didnt mount, so i ran system update, rebooted, then it got stuck. would that be an issue too?