Apple is not paying me GST on Australian Sales

Hi all,

It was my understanding that Apple pass on the GST from sales on the Australian App Store to the developer. It would then be up to the developer to pass on the GST to the ATO through a BAS.

In my Financial Reports I can see the GST that was charged for the months sales. I.e

Earned

Taxes and Adjustments

Total Owed

Where total owed = earned + taxes and adjustment

The taxes and adjustment equates to 10% of the earned amount, which corresponds to GST. However after I am paid, I only ever receive the earned amount, not the total owed. i.e I am not being paid the GST component.

When I create a report for the month and download as .csv, each transaction has had GST subtracted from the amount. For example an in app purchase that costs the user 2.49 gives me a partner share of 1.58. This equates to the purchase price times 0.7 (Apple commission) then minus GST.

If I am not being paid the GST, where is it going? Is Apple transferring it directly the ATO? I've gotten in touch with Apple about this, just curious if anyone else has experience something similar.

Replies

I can't answer any questions about Australia. But here in Canada, I had to fill out a form with Canada Revenue Agency to authorized Apple to collect HST on my behalf.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for starting the thread.

We are new to this issue, what was their response please?
I'm confused and frustrated with Apple Pay - when an Australian customer uses Apple Pay to checkout a cart, they are charged an additional 10% on top of the cart price during the Apple Pay flow. However if they select Visa/Mastercard this is not charged.
I've used Etsy several times with each, and with Visa I have a 10% VAT on the invoice that was the cart total, but Apple Pay is 10% greater total.
Could people please share what the charge model is for their web store comparing Apple pay to a credit card scheme?
Thanks.
Did you ever get an answer to this question?