App update deadlock?

Managing my first app I'm confused with the App Store Connect workflow, pehaps I did a mistake.

In AppStoreConnect/MyApp I have App version 1.0.0 only, its status is "Pending Developer Release".
In "activity" there are two versions: 1.0.0 (Pending Developer Release) and 1.0.1 (no app store status).
I need to update a new build correcting a bug.

A new build validation on xCode fails:

This bundle is invalid. The value for key CFBundleShortVersionString [1.0.0] in the Info.plist file must contain a higher version than that of the previously approved version [1.0.0]. Please find more information about CFBundleShortVersionString at https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/cfbundleshortversionstring

Creating a new version is not allowed (the option is grayed out) perhaps because the status is not "Ready for Sale” or "Developer Removed from Sale".

I would upload a new build or version to be verified by TestFlight tester before put it on sale.

How can I exit from this situation?
Thank you very much

Accepted Reply

Really, it is a bit messy once you rejected a version.

The only way I found to get out of the deadloack was effectively to publish the app (old version that was rejected) by resubmitting.

I don't think it can be a problem for you to have this version published temporarily.

Then upload a new build (with a higher version num)

Then you should be able to rcover the normal flow with a new version and this new build.

Wish you to get out of it. Let us know by closing the thread once you got it right.

Replies

First problem is the build version in the info.plist of the new build.

Should change, for the new build to archive, to more than 1.0.1.

Second problem is because you rejected the app. I went in the same deadlock. In fact, you should really avoid to reject a build.

What I had to do:

Resubmit the version you rejected.

You can then modify its infos, declare a new version number (e.g 1.0.2) and submit it for publication.

Note: I did ask the question to support:

My concern is that the app was not submitted for review.

And I do not see the new version 1.4.0.

And it am not able to create a new version (iOS button is disabled):

The only version that appears is 1.1. that was refused (by me).

Should I resubmit this old version for review, then release if accepted to be able to submit a new version ?

Or do something else ?

Apple answer

What I can see in our records is that we approved your app, "XXXX," iOS version 1.1. It was Pending Developer Release, waiting for you to release it to the App Store.

Note: This status appears when you submit an app using Version Release Control and the app is then approved.

To release your app to the App Store:

1. Sign in to App Store Connect.

2. Click My Apps.

3. Select your app.

4. Select the Pending Developer Release version.

5. Click Make App Available.

Your app can take up to 24 hours to be processed for the App Store.

Then, you rejected your app on dddddd. After you resubmit, your review time will start again.

We realize that there are circumstances which make it necessary to reject and resubmit your binary. Because this affects the total review time for your app, we recommend that you do this only when absolutely necessary. We also suggest that you conduct a thorough QA cycle before submitting your app.

Now, you need to resubmit your app, with the same or different build, but you cannot skip a version and create a new one without finishing the cycle of the version, this is why you are unable to create a new version at the moment.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions or concerns, however, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Your case number is XXXXXXXXXXX.

Thank you Claude,

from your gentle answer I understood that I have to "submit it for publication"; does it means "Release This Version"? So to have it available on the App Store?

Can, or should, then I create a new version (i.e. 1.0.2) on the App Store Connect and load it?

The build for version 1.0.1 is in the "Activity" but it doesn't appears on "My Apps" perhaps because I didn't create a new version on App Store Connect (It is currently not permitted).

Perhaps I have to publish the version 1.0.0, create version 1.0.1 and upload the new build for it (or arrive to 1.0.2)?

Really, it is a bit messy once you rejected a version.

The only way I found to get out of the deadloack was effectively to publish the app (old version that was rejected) by resubmitting.

I don't think it can be a problem for you to have this version published temporarily.

Then upload a new build (with a higher version num)

Then you should be able to rcover the normal flow with a new version and this new build.

Wish you to get out of it. Let us know by closing the thread once you got it right.

After "Release This Version" on version 1.0.0 it became "Ready for Sale" and creating version 1.0.1 on App Store Connect was enabled.
After version 1.0.1 creation, it was possible to select for it the already loaded build and also load the new build (for version 1.0.1) from xCode.

(To select the new build just loaded from xCode I had to logout, clean cache and login again, as suggest to me by Apple support)