Get access to a user's location in a specific day and time in the past

Does anyone know if it is possible for a user to give access to our app to confirm with Apple his location on a specific day and time in the past?

We are an insurance and would like to cross-check the police report with the devices' location to confirm the claim. For this to work, today we have to track the user's location all the time to be able to have this kind of data. I was wondering if there is a solution where their data would remain with Apple and we would only request it if needed and for a specific event.

Please send help!

Replies

You may want to have this conversation directly w/Apple via the Contact Us link below.

My opinion, is no, not without a significantly high level of requirement and assurances relative to privacy, at a minimum.

Why not keep those data on user device ?

Doing similar to the soon to come Eposure Notification API ?

- Register user location on the device

- When needed (if user declares an event), send the records matching a small period of time to your servers along with the declaration of event (of course asking user authorization)

- of course, this should have to be accepted during review, but I cannot see any problem here.

This would limit the flow of messages, keep privacy as no message sent if there is no declaration (you could also clear records after a certain period) and not require Apple to play the go between (I do not see why they would accept to play this role).

What do you think of such a scheme ?