Apple kext rejected due to invalid signature

Hi there,

I had problems with high CPU load of kernel_task for weeks now and decided to clean up my kexts. I deleted the Silabs Usb Driver kext and invalidated the cache via

sudo kextcache -invalidate /

This gave the following strange output

Untrusted kexts are not allowed
Kext rejected due to invalid signature: <OSKext 0x7ffc9675a160 [0x7fff89e2c8c0]> { URL = "file:///Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/", ID = "com.apple.macos.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost" }

How can this be? Is this kext from Apple corrupt or something?

I'm on macOS 10.15.4.

Best regards

Accepted Reply

This doesn't really answer your question, but here's some information about potential causes for kernel_task causing high load: https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/04/23/throttling-due-to-thunderbolt-left-proximity-sensor/

To delete the KEXT, you can disable SIP temporarily.

Replies

codesign -vvvvvv /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext

/Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

file added: /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/Contents/version.plist

How can I fix this? I can't even remove the file because the extensions are read only in Catalina.

This doesn't really answer your question, but here's some information about potential causes for kernel_task causing high load: https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/04/23/throttling-due-to-thunderbolt-left-proximity-sensor/

To delete the KEXT, you can disable SIP temporarily.

SIP disabling worked but I think I have to reinstall Catalina, you never know how much corrupt stuff is still running in the background.

Regarding the kernel_task, I'll check if I also have dust in my fans, also regarding the Usb-C power connector issue, I also observed the kernel_taks popping up more often when it is connected. The new Macbook Pro's are a thermal disaster of epic proportions, everyone who really needs the CPU power they paid for has these throttling issues, already thinking about buying a ******* cooling pad for this stupid machine.