Launch app from another app

Hello,

I have two different apps in the app store, one of them, hybrid the other native. I would like to know if I could open the second app from the first one. By pressing a button my first app closes and the second one opens.

Also, could I directly access a specific screen?

I think I could use a custom URL scheme, but I don't know if apple allowe it.

Thank you

Replies

Sure. There is no direct way to tell if the other app is installed, unless you add a mechanism for that. You can directly access anything you want in the other app, as long as you implement a method to do that. None of this is difficult.

I can't make any statement about whether app review will allow any specific app or feature. I'm not app review. You have to submit and hope. However, these kinds of operations are commonly done. As far as I understand the guidelines, there is no prohibition on it. If anything, it would be encouraged. This is usually only a problem when someone tries to do these kinds of operations with Apple apps, usually as a way to circumvent the sandbox. If you are integrating with your own apps, you should have no concerns.

Just make sure that your app works fine even if the user hasn't installed the other app. And also make sure that you aren't obviously violating some other guideline. You haven't said what your apps are doing. If one app is a keyboard extension, for example, then it would be forbidden from launching another app. If one of your apps is some kind of catalog of apps, then that could violate other criteria. But if this is just two regular apps, then they should work together.

Yes - It will be possible throgh URL schems or Deeplinking.

Thank you.

My only concern is if apple allowe it.

I mean, If I do this development, Apple would ban me to update my app in the appStore?

I hear by a colleague that this would can happen.

Thank you again.

The only folks who can give you definitive answers about what will or won’t be allowed on the store is App Review. However, the fact that calls like

open(_:options:completionHandler:)
continue to be supported indicates that there are cases that are acceptable to App Review.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"