[App rejected] 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase

Hello,

My App has been rejected regarding : Guideline 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase.

Small explanation about the app

The app offers 3 products, one using IAP and two using a mechanism other than IAP :

• The product that use IAP (non-Consumable product) unlock content inside the app
  • One product using a mechanism other than IAP offer a downloadable PDF. This PDF is intended to be used and consumed outside of the application. The application does not display the PDF once purchased.
  • The other product using a mechanism other than IAP is a subscription to a website to access content. This content is not accessible from the app after a user has subscribed. He can only access this new content from the website.

These 3 products are presented to the user on a page in the app.

Why I don’t understand the decision

In my app, any purchase that does not go through an In App purchase does not unlock any content in the application.

So, I think to be in compliance with these two points on the guideline review :

• From 3.1.1 In-App Purchase: "If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase". I’m not unlocking features or functionality within my app for the two products that don’t use IAP.
  • From 3.1.5(a) Goods and Services Outside of the App: "If your app enables people to purchase goods or services that will be consumed outside of the app, you must use purchase methods other than in-app purchase to collect those payments, such as Apple Pay or traditional credit card entry."

I explained everything to the revewier, but he just told me : "Regarding 3.1.1, we continue to find that your app offers digital content with a mechanism other than the in-app purchase API."

I don’t understand the reason why the binary has been rejected.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

On this matter, the review board has full authority. What we say here is just for increasing our common understanding of the rules.

For products 2 and 3, how do you get paid ? In the app with IAP or totally outside ? Does the user need to pay something to subscribe (to the third product):

This content is not accessible from the app after a user has subscribed

How does user subscribe ?

Thank you for your answer.

For products 2 and 3, how do you get paid ? In the app with IAP or totally outside ?

> Totally outside. For product 2 I'm using a plateform to sell my PDF and for product 3 I'm using my own web site. If he selects an offer, I open the web browser (it's not inside a WebView).

Does the user need to pay something to subscribe (to the third product):

> Yes, the user needs to pay to subscribe.

How does user subscribe ?

> If the user click on the button for this offer, he is redirected to my website (using the web browser). If he is interrested, he can create an account on my website and subscribe to the product. After that, he can access the content directly on my website.

This content is not available on the app and this is not possible to create an account or login inside the app.

It's specified in my application and on my website that if he subscribes he can only access the content via my website.

I guess if you have clearly explained, App Review does not consider a digital document as a 'Goods or services' in 3.1.5(a). You could appeal.

Thank you for your answer. I appealed. I'll see their answer.