How to handle player invites spinning forever when not accepted?

I noticed invite requests never time out in the GKMatchmakerViewController window and thus spin forever with "Invitation Sent"

Say I requested to start a 4-player game and the GKMatchmakerViewController is displayed. I clicked "Invite Friends" and only invited one friend to play. The other two players, requried for the game, are to be selected randomly by Game Center matchmaking. If the one invited player never accepts the invite request, then the GKMatchmakerViewController spins forever with "Invitation Sent".

Is there a way to have GKMatchmakerViewController fill the invited player slot with a random player (OR) perhaps I just have to manually cancel the GKMatchmakerViewController when I decided enough time has passed if the invite has not been accepted?

If I sent out 2 invites and only one player accepted their invite, then am I forced to cancel the complete match and start from scratch by sending a reInvite to the one friend who wants to play? I guess all of this discussion would be handled by text messaging, outside the game, to inform any players that I will restart the invite process again?