Download On-Demand Resources via MDM?

We have an iOS app with a large resouce size, not currently using On-Demand Resources. I'm investigating shrinking the app's initial bundle, and using On-Demand Resources to reduce the on-disk size of the app to what the user actually needs, which can usually be determined at time of the install. The app is used in an environment where the user would not have time to launch the app then wait for a lengthy resource download before using the app.

The app is most frequently installed via MDM. Does anyone know if it's possible to push an instruction over MDM to download specific assets to the app, so the assets appropriate for the user are available at first launch?

Replies

I discussed this with a few of my colleagues and it sounds like on-demand resources will work. If your application is installed with MDM then you can setup tags to use initial, prefetch, or download on-demand tags. That way you can specify different content downloads for what makes sense in your application. For more information regarding On-Demand resources see the documentation here.

Matt Eaton

DTS Engineering, CoreOS

meaton3 at apple.com