iOS | APNS & VoIP notification not received in Device even when token is valid and successfully sent to APNS server

Hi iOS Devs,

In my application, I'm using both APNS & VoIP for Chat and Voice call respectively. In my app, both token generated properly and updated to my App's server. When sending a APNS push from my server, push is successfully reached APNS server.

But I'm facing the following issues :

1. APNS/VoIP Notification doesn't reach the device properly when app is suspended/killed. When i tried to check server logs, the device token is available & valid and properly sent to APNS server.

2. Sometimes, APNS notification getting delivered while the VoIP notification doesn't received in the device and vice-versa. Is there any dependencies/relations among the both notification ?

It occurs mostly on iOS 13+ devices and I've updated Push notification format as specified in WWDC'19.

Kindly post your suggestions.

Replies

We see a similar pattern. We have about 500 voip calls a day and for 20% the push notification are not picked up by our app. When doing some tests ourself the behaviour varies. Indeed it's often the case that the app is suspended/killed and the screen is off, but often the push notification will arive in that situation. We also see that VOIP push notifications sometimes also not arive when the app is active. This last behavior will increase when you switch from WiFi to 3G or back.

We have the same issue. But it's not reproducible and also we do not see any errors in the server logs.