Will “AudioDriverKit.framework” be available in the future?

We would like to support our USB audio drivers based on IOAudioFamily, on macOS 10.16 or later.

We know that IOAudioFamily has been deprecated for a long time and IOAudioDevice.h has the following warning:

#warning IOAudioDevice is deprecated use <CoreAudio/AudioServerPlugIn.h> instead.

However, IOAudioFamily is still supported in 10.15, and AppleUSBAudio.kext uses it as usual.

Should we stay at the IOAudioFamily, migrate to AudioServerPlugIn, or wait for the DriverKit to support audio?

If the DriverKit framework for audio (which might be called “AudioDriverKit.framework”) is planned to be available in the future, we will be patient enough to wait for it.

Replies

I found the following note in Apple's documentation:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/driverkit/creating_a_driver_using_the_driverkit_sdk?language=objc

> Important

> DriverKit doesn’t support USB devices that manipulate audio or that communicate wirelessly over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

> For those types of devices, create a kernel extension using IOKit.

Does this mean that I should keep using IOAudioFamily in future versions of macOS?

I have these exact same questions and have been seeking clarity from Apple to no avail. Have you learned anything more about this topic?