Video required for WatchOS app ?

I submitted an iOS app with a watchOS companion app.

App has been 'Metadata Rejected':

Here is the full message:

Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed

We have started the review of your app, but we are not able to continue because we need access to a video that demonstrates the current version of your app in use on a physical watchOS device.

Please only include footage in your demo video of your app running on a physical watchOS device, and not on a simulator. It is acceptable to use a screen recorder to capture footage of your app in use.

Next Steps

To help us proceed with the review of your app, please provide us with a link to a demo video in the App Review Information section of App Store Connect and reply to this message in Resolution Center.

To provide a link to a demo video:

- Click on "My Apps"

- Select your app

- Click on the app version on the left side of the screen

- Scroll down to "App Review Information"

- Provide demo video access details in the "Notes" section

- Once you've completed all changes, click the "Save" button at the top of the Version Information page.

Please note that in the event that your app may only be reviewed by means of a demo video, you will be required to provide an updated demo video with every resubmission.

Since your App Store Connect status is Metadata Rejected, we do NOT require a new binary. To revise the metadata, visit App Store Connect to select your app and revise the desired metadata values. Once you’ve completed all changes, reply to this message in Resolution Center and we will continue the review.

I have 3 questions:

- Is it a systematic requirement for Watch apps ? I did not see in guidelines ; or is it for some reason specific to my app or to the reviewer ?

- How can I record video on the Apple Watch ? Should I film the watch while in operation and post this video ? Or is there a direct way to record the video from the watch to iPhone (using system tools, not third party).

- I understand it is not video for publication on appstore, but video for tester. So should I include video in the screen captures section or put it on some web site and give a link to it to the tester ?

Accepted Reply

I just added a link to a web site to host a video I shot from my iPhone (not very high quality, but showing precisely how application works on Watch).

And rapidly, my app was validated.

Don't forget to include the video each time you submit a new version.

I Did it for a new release, and app was validated pretty rapidly.

So, I have now found my own answers to my questions:

- Is it a systematic requirement for Watch apps ? I did not see in guidelines ; or is it for some reason specific to my app or to the reviewer ?

I don't think it is systematic, that just a request from the reviewer.

- How can I record video on the Apple Watch ? Should I film the watch while in operation and post this video ? Or is there a direct way to record the video from the watch to iPhone (using system tools, not third party).

Did not find a way to shoot directly the video from the Watch.

So I laid the Watch on a white paper, put my iPhone on a support to keep it still, started the recording and demonstrated the watch app on the watch.

Not professional grade video, but reviewer was happy with it.

- I understand it is not video for publication on appstore, but video for tester. So should I include video in the screen captures section or put it on some web site and give a link to it to the tester ?

I put it on a website. And that was OK. It will not show on the appstore, but I included it in the company website.

Replies

I just ran into the same thing, I don't suppose you figured out any answers to your questions by chance?

I just got this too. I’ve never seen this before. Any updates?

I just added a link to a web site to host a video I shot from my iPhone (not very high quality, but showing precisely how application works on Watch).

And rapidly, my app was validated.

Don't forget to include the video each time you submit a new version.

I Did it for a new release, and app was validated pretty rapidly.

So, I have now found my own answers to my questions:

I don't think it is systematic, that just a request from the reviewer.

Did not find a way to shoot directly the video from the Watch.

So I laid the Watch on a white paper, put my iPhone on a support to keep it still, started the recording and demonstrated the watch app on the watch.

Not professional grade video, but reviewer was happy with it.

I put it on a website. And that was OK. It will not show on the appstore, but I included it in the company website.

To save time and using minimum effort, I did this and my app was quickly approved:

Hold the phone and video with one hand, while operating the watch with the other hand

Transfer movie from phone to Mac (by AirDrop)

Drag and drop the movie straight into iTunes Connect, as an attachment under App Review Information

I did the same, just putting the iPhone on a fixture to have a more stable image and keep both hands free to manipulate the watch.

The app was also very quickly approved.

Cher Claude, as far as I remember, you can build your app in Xcode targeting a ”real“ Watch device (not a simulator), then open QuickTime on your Mac and record a new ”screen cast“ from your physical Watch.

Yes, it is magic and your Watch should show up in the list of available devices as iPhone do ;-)

No more need to have strange eagle-eye viewed screen footage…

Use the screen recording option on your iPhone.

Settings>Control Center>Screen Recording

Add it, Launch it, Record Your App

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q71v4n9LXM