6 Replies
      Latest reply on Mar 24, 2020 3:29 PM by eskimo
      commvault_dev Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

After we made changes for apple notarization, I cannot seem to re-place a binary for debugging.

[This are all terminal binaries, not apps]

executable A is linked with library B, both are codesingned with

codesign -f -o runtime -s "identity" <binary>

and, are runnign fine.

Now, for debugging if I make a change in B and replace it, now A is killed right away with error

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid)

Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000032, 0x0000000103082000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x2

Application Specific Information:

dyld: in dlopen()

<path to library B>

even if I add entitlement get-task-allow to executable A, it's still same.

What can I do, what am I missing?

• Re: executable is killed after codesign
          Ken Thomases Level 4 Level 4 (785 points)

That's part of the purpose of the hardened runtime. By default, it won't allow an app to load an unsigned library or a library whose code signature has been invalidated because it's been modified since it's been signed.

You will have to sign the modified library B.  Or, you could debug with a build of A that does not have the hardened runtime enabled.  Alternatively, you could debug with SIP disabled.

You could add the Disable Library Validation Entitlement to A to relax the hardened runtime's restriction, but be sure you remove that for the build you ship unless you're sure you want to allow that.

I have tried these

1) codesign modified B => doesn't work

2) codesign both A and B => doesn't work

3) codesign both A and B by removing "-o runtime" - disabling hardend runtime => doesn't work

with 2 and 3 now, binary wont even start. lldb says "bad executable (or shared library), dtruss says (no such file or directory)

if I remove codesign from both A and B, then it works.

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (13,905 points)

How are you “replacing” this binary?  macOS has a long-standing wrinkle that causes problems if you overwrite a Mach-O file on disk (the kernel caches code signing info from the original file and doesn’t flush that cache when you rewrite it).  If you want to replace a Mach-O file on disk, you should always replace the file with a new one.  Thus, using mv not cp.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
              Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
              let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

that perhaps is, because what I went on trying is, disabled SIP => things worked, enabled SIP => things continued working. now, I have issues with some binary not all, and a simple reboot fixed it.

in log stream all I was getting is

020-03-18 15:57:49.958688-0500 0xc530     Default     0x0                  8777   0    taskgated: (Security) [com.apple.securityd:security_exception] UNIX error exception: 3

2020-03-18 15:57:49.960037-0500 0xc530     Default     0x0                  8777   0    taskgated: no signature for pid=5799 (cannot make code: UNIX[No such process])

which perhaps indicates what your are suggesting about kernel caching code sign info.

I would try mv when I try next and update here.

sandeeptt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I too seeing the same issue.

When I overwrite the old binaries with the newer one (with additional entitlements), I get "Killed: 9"  error: Bad executable (or shared library)" when I execute any binary that has a dependecy on .dylib. The binaries that just depends on "/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib" works fine. When I reboot the machine, then all the binaries work fine and no error is seen.

Do I need to flush dylib cache or any other cache to avoid the reboot? Or How can I fix it please?