No energy impact when debugging?

I've an app that relies heavily on timers, when I leave the app running on debug (for hours), it wouldn't affect energy usage thus no fan noise is heard, but as soon as I publish the app for release and then run the app, you can hear the fans 10 meters away! why the difference? I don't have any specific conditions on different build configurations!

I was wondering whether it has something to do with the debugger, e.g. lower the fans on debug

Replies

I was wondering whether it has something to do with the debugger, e.g. lower the fans on debug

That’s very unlikely. The debugger does affect your app in all sorts of ways, but this isn’t one of them.

Most problems like this are caused by bugs in your code that are revealed by the optimisations applied in the release build. There’s a couple of ways you can approach this:

• Debug your release build. The debugger won’t work well with optimised code but this will at least let you rule out the debugger as a factor.

• Use Instruments to investigate why that build of your app is using so much energy.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"