tvOS 13.4 beta: HDMI-DVI connection to monitor does not work anymore

To fix a bug in our app that appeared only on the tvOS 13.4 beta I updated my Apple TV 4K to the tvOS 13.4 beta version.

I fixed the bug, but now I have two problems with my Apple TV 4K:

1) I cannot connect it to my monitors anymore - the screen stays black, and the following entry is in the tv os console log:

Mar 9 16:58:31 Wohnzimmer PineBoard[49] <Error>: Display mode switch unsuccessful: requested: <CADisplayMode 0x281721b60>{ non-virtual 2048 x 1152 60.00 Hz colorMode>RGBFullRange hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_P3 aspect>16:9 scale>2 } result: <CADisplayMode 0x281722390>{ non-virtual 0 x 0 0.00 Hz colorMode>auto hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_SRGB aspect>other scale>1 }.

Mar 9 16:58:31 Wohnzimmer PineBoard[49] <Error>: Failed to establish the preferred mode <<PBSDisplayMode: 0x283107240>{ 2048 x 1152 60.00Hz @2x, 16:9, SDR RGB Low P3 [non-virtual, non-promoted] }>, we'll try again 2 times

Mar 9 16:58:31 Wohnzimmer PineBoard[49] <Error>: Establishing mode failure: Error Domain=com.apple.pineboard.displayErrors Code=832002 "Display mode switch unsuccessful: requested: <CADisplayMode 0x281721b60>{ non-virtual 2048 x 1152 60.00 Hz colorMode>RGBFullRange hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_P3 aspect>16:9 scale>2 } result: <CADisplayMode 0x281722390>{ non-virtual 0 x 0 0.00 Hz colorMode>auto hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_SRGB aspect>other scale>1 }." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Display mode switch unsuccessful: requested: <CADisplayMode 0x281721b60>{ non-virtual 2048 x 1152 60.00 Hz colorMode>RGBFullRange hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_P3 aspect>16:9 scale>2 } result: <CADisplayMode 0x281722390>{ non-virtual 0 x 0 0.00 Hz colorMode>auto hdrMode>SDR gamut>gamut_SRGB aspect>other scale>1 }.}

I have two different monitors, both show the same problem - only connecting the Apple TV via HDMI to a real TV still works.

2) I cannot reset the Apple TV 4K to the tvOS 13.3.1 version anymore. When I try on the device (Reset & restore), it tells me it cannot restore at the moment (probably because the release version is lower than the beta version, which of course is the case ...). When I try via the Apple Configurator 2 by dragging the 13.3.1 ipsw file on it, it shows the dialog to Update or Restore, and on clicking Update it tells me "tvOS cannot be restored - Connect the devices over USB to continue" - but the Apple TV 4K does not have a USB connection anymore, so ?!??

Both problems are really annoying, is there any way to fix them?

Replies

Now finally the release version of tvOS 13.4 is out and I updated my Apple TV - it still is not working with my monitors. Anyone else having the same problem?

I have the same problem with an old monitor with dvi-input and a hdmi 2 dvi converter. The picture stays black :/

Well, I gave up and bought a cheap TV for my office room to work with ... the time I spent on trying to solve this was wasted, I wish Apple would either announce changes like that (on a dot release!) or just stay supporting these modes. At least an answer here would be nice.

Having the same problem.

I have the same problem too, with a HDMI to DVI converter.

Having the same problem on HDMI-DVI and the Apple TV 4K does not show video on a HDMI-HDMI connection to a full HD tv neither. Please help!

Same here!

This appears to still be a problem in TVOS, but I worked around it by feeding HDMI ->HDMI from an AppleTV 4th Gen to an HDMI Audio Extractor box then feeding the output HDMI->DVI to my DVI only monitor, an HP2011x. This worked, and when I looked in Settings on the AppleTV, I could see it had selected the correct best Resolution (1600x900) for the HP, with an HDMI Output Value of RGB Low. I did try the obvious experiment of taking the Extractor out of circuit again, but no good, monitor just went to sleep. YMMV and you will need an extra HDMI -> HDMI cable as well, but worth a go for £22 from a well known online retailer. As an added bonus you can feed an external DAC or receiver from the optical digital out on the Extractor and get hi-res (ish - 24 bit/48KHz max) over Airplay2 from IPhone 8 😀

Out of curiosity what brand/model hdmi audio converter did you use? I already purchased a new cable and a hdmi-dvi converter trying to figure this out before I found this discussion. I would like to buy something I know has worked for someone else.

Hi - the one I am using is an AV Access 4KCVH2H HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor from Amazon UK for £22 - unfortunately, I note these are out of stock currently. However, I believe any HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor with HDCP support would work (NOT an HDMI ARC Extractor) - hope that helps.

Hi all,

Any updates on this one? It was working fine for me about a 1.5 month ago. I had to buy some new HDMI - VDI converters thinking the one I had broke down. But still no luck. Monitor (HP 2010i - 1600x900 - VDI, VGA ports) goes to sleep. That resolution does not seem to be supported by Apple TV 4K.

Thanks,

same here. PLEASE HELP! Tvos 13.4.8 not working on hdmi-to-dvi converter Monitors on apple tv 4th gen 2015

I yesterday 24.08.2020 updated my Apple TV 2015 4th gen from Tvos 13.0 to 13.4.8 (latest) and after updating , my apple tv stopped working with my monitors. I tried connecting my apple tv to real tv via hdmi cable and it worked. But its still not working for my LED monitor using a hdmi to dvi connector. Actually my apple tv is showing the video output on my monitors, but the screen of my monitor is big and whereas the apple tv screen that comes is about 70% only and showing black white lines on left and top, whereas if i connect it my my real tv with hdmi cable it just works fine.

I need it working back with my LED Monitors via hdmi-to-dvi connector. Please help.
I am not able to find even any option to roll my apple tv back from tvos 13.4.8 to 13.0

Dear APPLE, Please fix this a.s.a.p.