Review Guideline 11.1

I would like to get in touch with someone who can give me more details regarding Review Guideline 11.1.

We have many clients that come to us wanting to use a freely available "unlock code" or "scan a symbol" to unlock content within their app. We would like to be able to confidently tell our clients what is, and what is not, possible within Apple’s guidelines.

For our clients, we have created several apps using various methods of unlocking content including unlocking based on a typed in code, unlocking based on scanning a marker image (Vuforia), and unlocking based on scanning a real toy (Zappar). We’ve had mixed results with App Review. Sometimes rejected, sometimes not.

This wastes our time, our clients time, and money.

How are we supposed to accurately tell our clients what we are getting into if we have no idea what will be approved?

Can someone please direct me to someone I can discuss this with?

Thank you,

Dustin

Replies

Hi Dustin,

I am also interested in seeking further guidance on using codes for unlock. Have you found out any more informaiton?

Thanks,
Chris

As you have found, how the guidelines are interpreted and applied can vary by application and reviewer. Apple also sometimes changes what is generally approved or rejected occasionally over time. In some cases, this is applied retroactively when app updates are submitted.

These forums include developers and an occasional Apple engineer. You are unlikely to get the kind of definitive answer you seek here. I would suggest communicating to your clients that this uncertainty is part of the process of submitting apps for review.