App rejected because The company names associated with your app do not reflect a recognized institution

Hello Everyone,

I am an individual developer and I am submitting an app on the app store for the first time. the app is about health news and update. when I submit it for review. the app is rejected with the following reason

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guideline 5.2.1 - Legal - Intellectual Property

The seller and company names associated with your app do not reflect a recognized institution, such as a governmental entity, hospital, insurance company, non-governmental organization, or university, which is required for the content in this app by Guideline 5.2.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

Next Steps

The content in your app must be published under a seller name and company name that reflects a recognized institution. If you have developed this app on behalf of a client, please advise your client to add you to the development team of their Apple Developer account. If your client does not yet have an Apple Developer account, they can enroll in the Apple Developer Program through the Apple Developer website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a client app and I am not referencing any third party services in the app. How can I resolve this? Has anybody here faced rejection for the same reason how did you resolve it? any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

Does the app appear to be coming from a company or organization? For example, is the app entitled (or prominently displaying) "Pfizer Company Products" or "New City Hospital" or "New York Times Articles"? If so, you need to publish it from that entity's developer account. If not, can you speculate why App Review associates the app with a company or organization?

Thank you for responding. No, the app is not entitled or displaying any organization or company. The app is giving updates on coronavirus.

This is what apple replied
'If you wish to distribute this app to the App Store your app must be published under a seller name and company name that reflects the source of the information in your app or by a recognized institution, such as a hospital, insurance company, pharmacy, non-governmental organization, or university, as required by Guideline 5.2.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines."

The rejection is primarily about the 'medical' aspect of the app and it's contents, which would typically require alignment with a formally branded medical-centric company/institution.

Devs are discouraged from submitting medical/health related apps casually. Apple implemented this requirement (5.2.1) some time ago in an effort to protect users from less than reliable sources, etc.

I put an app in the store back in 2009 similar to yours that dealt with H1N1 - that app hasn't been in the store since 2012, and I would not expect to be able to submit it now. I think 5.2.1 is a good thing...

Here is 5.2.1:

5.2.1 Generally: Don’t use protected third-party material such as trademarks, copyrighted works, or patented ideas in your app without permission, and don’t include misleading, false, or copycat representations, names, or metadata in your app bundle or developer name. Apps should be submitted by the person or legal entity that owns or has licensed the intellectual property and other relevant rights and is responsible for offering any services provided by the app.

Who owns the data you are using for the coronavirus? If it is not copyright protected, or if it is explicitly available for your use, then appeal to App Review stating why you have the right to use the data.

(I do not think the problem is that last "is responsible for offering any services provided by the app".)

Thanks a lot for taking the time and replying to this. I will try submitting an appeal to the app review board.

I have a similar issue, did you solve the problem?

Hello Developer,

are you guys already fix this problem ? i also get the same problem

It's very clear now, you can't publish a medical info app as an individual developer.

Only "a governmental entity, hospital, insurance company, non-governmental organization, or university" are able to publish a kind of coronavirus app.

Yes - posted 3.14.20 Ensuring the Credibility of Health & Safety Information - see https://developer.apple.com/news/