Is there a schedule for disabling 3rd party kext loading completely?

Hi,

As we known, kernel extension will be replaced with system extension.User will receive a notifictaion after osx 10.15.4.

But there seems be no detail schedule for disabling 3rd party kext loading completely?

Is there any related information?

Which osx version will disable 3rd party kext loading?

Then we can plan our customer support.

Thank you very much!

Accepted Reply

I don’t have any more info about schedule, but I do want to be clear about the current state of affairs. Right now, with 10.15.x, only a limited set of KEXTs are deprecated. There’s a wide range of tasks, mostly in the I/O Kit space, for which a KEXT is your only option.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Apple never publishes this kind of information. If you are using deprecated code, now is the time to switch.

Considering the warning that will be added in 10.15.4, I think it's safe to assume that 3rd party kexts will be completely disabled in 10.16, possibly enabled by disabling SIP or similar.

I don’t have any more info about schedule, but I do want to be clear about the current state of affairs. Right now, with 10.15.x, only a limited set of KEXTs are deprecated. There’s a wide range of tasks, mostly in the I/O Kit space, for which a KEXT is your only option.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

Thank you for you answer, we are trying to swich it.

We cann't load kext any more in macOS11 when SIP is on.

We cann't load kext any more in macOS11 when SIP is on.

macOS 11 still supports a limited set of KEXT types. The KEXTs that it refuses to load are the ones that we deprecated in the 10.15 timeframe.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple