1 Reply
      Latest reply on Feb 16, 2020 8:47 AM by eskimo
      liang.zhou Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

I have a background daemon which is launched by launchd at system startup. I need to show a notification window to reports some event occationally. My snippet is as follows.

CFStringRef message = CFStringCreateWithCString(NULL, filePath, kCFStringEncodingUTF8);

CFUserNotificationDisplayNotice( 3.0f, kCFUserNotificationStopAlertLevel | kCFUserNotificationNoDefaultButtonFlag,
                                             NULL, NULL, NULL,
                                             CFSTR("alert"),
                                             message,
                                             NULL);

CFRelease(message);

The CFUserNotificationDisplayNotice returns 0, but no window shows up.

I cannot find much information about how to use this API.

Could anybody show me the correct way to show some UI from a daemon? Thanks!

• Re: Show notification window from daemon
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (13,025 points)

I need to show a notification window to reports some event occationally.

Don’t do this.  The best way to handle this is:

• Have a launchd agent that runs in each GUI login session that can service notification requests from the daemon.

• The agent is running in a GUI login session, so it has full access to all GUI facilities.

• When the daemon wants to notify the user of something, it can consult with the list of connected agents and decide how to proceed.

• You’ll need to decide on a policy for how the daemon should proceed if there are no agents connected.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"