healthStore.requestauthorization() crashes when called

I'm trying to collect health data in my Apple Watch application but when I call healthStore.requestAuthorization my app always crashes. I have set NSHealthShareUsageDescription and NSHealthUpdateUsageDescription in Info.plist as required but it still crashes. I started a new project and am just trying to request authorisation, there is no other functionality that could affect it. Any ideas why this is? Thanks for any help.

Replies

I was having the same issue using SwiftUI. But building a new project, using storyboards, revealed that the error was with my Info.plist strings. Apparently just a word or two is insuffcient.

Hopefully we'll get error messages passed through in SwiftUI soon.

Using longer strings solved my issue. I really hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. This still hasn't fixed the issue for me though. I'm using storyboards and my Info.plist strings are a length that should be suitable. No error is printed to the console so I have no reference as to what the problem could be.

I'm also experiencong the same issue - until Xcode 11.3, crash was happening without error message. With Xcode 11.4, the error displayed is:

Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'NSHealthUpdateUsageDescription must be set in the app's Info.plist in order to request write authorization for the following types: HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDietaryWater'

The string `NSHealthUpdateUsageDescription` is correctly set, along with `NSHealthShareUsageDescription`.

Stack trace:

*** First throw call stack:

(

0 CoreFoundation 0x04d86f52 __exceptionPreprocess + 370

1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x000d5dfd objc_exception_throw + 49

2 CoreFoundation 0x04d86d5f +[NSException raise:format:] + 95

3 HealthKit 0x004e217e -[HKHealthStore _validateHealthDataPurposeStringsForSharingTypes:readingTypes:isResearchStudy:] + 583

4 HealthKit 0x004e1be9 -[HKHealthStore _validatePurposeStringsForSharingTypes:readingTypes:] + 422

5 HealthKit 0x004e137e -[HKHealthStore requestAuthorizationToShareTypes:readTypes:shouldPrompt:completion:] + 384

6 HealthKit 0x004e10cd -[HKHealthStore requestAuthorizationToShareTypes:readTypes:completion:] + 72

Turns out the permissions strings need to be set on the Info.plist that lives in the `WatchKit Extension` directory, not the `Watchkit App` one. When set there, the app correctly prompts for the Health permissions.