3 Replies
      Latest reply on Feb 6, 2020 2:02 AM by eskimo
      Schubert Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

How do I create a Spotlight Importer (MDImporter) target for mac OS in Xcode?

There appears to be no such target template available in xcode 9 to 11 (older versions don't run on my machine).

• Re: How do I create a Sportlight Importer target?
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (13,395 points)

There appears to be no such target template available in Xcode 9 to 11

Indeed.  That should give you some idea as to the general disposition of this technology )-:  Most of the focus these days is on Core Spotlight.

Anyway, Spotlight importers are based on CFPlugin (yetch!) which, in turn, is just a CFBundle.  Thus, you can get started with the generic bundle template (macOS > Bundle) and then customise from there.

The required customisation is… well… frankly… ugly.  Given that the template is no longer available, the next best thing is to look for a sample.  The Spotlight sample is still available in the archive, but you might find better example out there on the ’net.

ps Please drop me a line at the email address in my signature.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

• Re: How do I create a Sportlight Importer target?
              Schubert Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

[QUOTE]Indeed.  That should give you some idea as to the general disposition of this technology )-:  Most of the focus these days is on Core Spotlight.[/QUOTE]

Core Spotlight isn't a direct replacement for Spotlight Importers, is it?

Core Spotlight only works for database-like applications (the exception on macOS). There doesn't seem to be a more modern replacement for custom document files. So everybody who has a custom file format still needs to write a Spotlight Importer.

Thanks to your hint and the Internet I have gotten it to work like this:

The Spotlight Importer template is included in Xcode 8, which is still downloadable. The template is included at

Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Xcode/Templates/Project\ Templates/Mac/Other/Spotlight\ Importer.xctemplate

The "Spotlight Importer.xctemplate" can be copied to

~/Library/Developer/Xcode/Templates/Spotlight\ Importer.xctemplate

and Xcode 11 will pick it up and happily create Spotlight Importer targets again.

The sample target is Core Data centric and uses some deprecated API - maybe that's why it was removed. After removing the unnecessary Core Data parts it works fine for custom file formats and without deprecation warnings.