Not able to enable Safari app extension (macOS 10.15.3)

We have a macOS app in which we integrated the Safari app extension. When we install the app in macOS 10.15.3 (Safari version 13.0.5), the extension gets installed in safari but having disabled by default. When we try to enable it, its checkbox doesn't respond.

- Tried to install another safari app extension (from AppStore) the same behavior is seen.

- Tries on macOS 10.14.6 with safari version 13.0.5 there was no issue found.

Replies

I see the same after the latest update. Any Safari extension that was already enabled remains enabled, but if it's disabled by clicking the checkbox, then the checkbox no longer responds to further clicks, and the extension remains disabled.

I too noticed the same exact issue and just saw your post after writing a possibly related post...
[Extensions] Not enabling extensions due to security measures [10.15.3]

Do you happen to see this ^^^ message in your error log?

Still no responses after almost 2 weeks? Are you still experiencing the issue?

Is there any error code i could be able to see in the console, which will tell me that this is the problem with latest macOS version?

Guys, apparently there is a bug with the latest MacOS update of Catalina 10.15.3, in regard to Safari extensions, neither an extension cannot be enabled. For example if an extension is present and enabled if you choose to disable it you cannot enable it back 😅. There is however a fix for this bug/issue: restart holding Shift key until the welcome screen and release the key (to enter in Safe Mode), open Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions tab -> enable extensions -> restart PC (normal, without holding any key, as usual). To check if the PC has started in Safe Mode, open Apple logo -> About this mac -> System Report -> scroll down to Software and click on it -> it should say on Boot mode : “Safe”, if not in Safe Mode it should be “Normal”. (You did not hold the Shift key from the beginning, so you should repeat the process)

apparently there is a bug with the latest MacOS update of Catalina 10.15.3, in regard to Safari extensions

Well, that’s not good. Did you file a bug report about this? If so, what’s the bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I'm new around here. If you can guide me on how to do that, I can send it. I don't know how to find the error, because when I tried to click on the check box to enable an extension from Safari, nothing was displayed as an error or something, it just didn't enabled while in Normal Boot Mode.
---------

Marius

Oh, I just presumed that you’d already filed a bug about that. If not, you should. See this page.

Once you’ve filed a bug, please post your bug number, just for the record. It should look like FBxxxxxx.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

Thank you, Masterdutsu. Your workaround worked for me. Per eskimo's suggestion, I've submitted bug report FB7589282. Cheers!

Make sure that your extension preferences pane is frontmost in the middle of your screen with no other windows covering any of it.

There can also be issues when running certain accessibility software, so make sure that those are disabled if you are running into this.

You've already figured out that -[ExtensionsPreferencesOld canEnableExtensions] in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Safari.framework is buggy, hopefully?

Place extension preferences pane in the middle of the screen works for me. Thanks!

This problem appears to be resolved in macOS v10.15.5. Thank you. Are others experiencing the same?

I can't confirm this. Still having the issue with macOS 10.15.5.

Still having the issue with macOS 10.15.5.

Interesting. Other folks have confirmed that this is fixed in 10.15.5. I think you should file your own bug about this. Make sure to reference FB7589282 but add any info that might be unique to your setup.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
I am still seeing this behavior on new machines even after upgrading to 10.15.5. I set up 3 new MacBook Pro's (2 x 16" and one 13") and out of the box we installed an extension needed for our district. Then applied all updates (security, safari, and system) and the same issue resulted. Could not click the check box. Could not resolve by moving the preference pane around the screen or to the middle. Only resolve is booting into safe mode to enable it.

With some of the WWDC info it looks like extensions are going to be completely redone for Big Sur, but until then we really need this to be looked at.