Cordova apps and the new HTML guidelines

Apple posted this the other day:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=01212020a

Do you think this means Cordova apps with HTML content wrapped inside the app would be a problem?

Replies

Nobody knows what your app does, so it is impossible to say if any particular app would be in violation of this policy. Furthermore, this is not a new policy. It seems that Apple is just going to start removing existing apps that are not in compliance.

These are health related apps for research studies. All of the HTML is local to the app and we use this process because its easier for our web designers and we get an Android app for free though I feel like I pay for it in my soul. 😉

Then it shouldn't be a problem. That page you posted specifies "that all apps be self-contained bundles" and that "the core features and functionality of the app must be contained within the software’s binary". It sounds like your app does that. This guideline is directed at features and functionality "made possible by referring users outside of the approved app".

One easy test would be see if your app runs without a network or cellular connection. If it works, then it should be fine. If it doesn't work, then there needs to be a good reason for that. But if it seems like your app should work fine without a network, then it probably should. Otherwise, if it looks like it could be a web page, then it probably should be.

But to clarify, I'm not app review. I'm just giving my opinion. In my opinion, an app that provides value to Apple's customers should not be a cause for concern.