so, it is coughing blood and guts now
* Trying 18.104.22.168...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to buy.itunes.apple.com (22.214.171.124) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /etc/ssl/cert.pem
* TLSv1.2 (OUT)
, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT)
, TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT)
, TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT)
, TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
* ALPN, server accepted to use http/1.1
* Server certificate:
* subject: businessCategory=Private Organization; jurisdictionCountryName=US; jurisdictionStateOrProvinceName=California; serialNumber=C0806592; C=US; ST=California; L=Cupertino; O=Apple Inc.; OU=Delivery Site Reliability Engineering; CN=buy.itunes.apple.com
* start date: Feb 10 00:00:00 2019 GMT
* expire date: Mar 24 12:00:00 2020 GMT
* subjectAltName: host "buy.itunes.apple.com" matched cert's "buy.itunes.apple.com"
* issuer: C=US; O=DigiCert Inc; OU=www.digicert.com; CN=DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA
* SSL certificate verify ok.
> POST /verifyReceipt HTTP/1.1
> Host: buy.itunes.apple.com
> User-Agent: curl/7.64.1
> Accept: /
> Content-Type: application/json
> Content-Length: 6872
> Expect: 100-continue
< HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
< Content-Length: 62
< Connection: close
< Cache-Control: no-cache,no-store
< Pragma: no-cache
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT)
, TLS alert, close notify (256):
<html><body><b>Http/1.1 Service Unavailable</b></body> </html>
According to apple, all is green
half of the new orders affected and renew subscriptions stopped. I am curios why this is not announced anywere
We're having the same problem as of 7:30am EST this morning.
We've been experiencing the same issue since 24 Jan 2020 12:10 UTC.
We are having similar issue too. Verify Receipt endpoint is sending HTML instead of JSON.
We are having the same issue too Started an hr or so ago. Verify receipt endpoint is sending HTML instead of JSON.
I am waiting for a call back, the support person I spoke to didn't know how to report this so is speaking to the senior team...
We are experiencing this issue as well. Both the SSL issue mentioned earlier as well as the API endpoint returning "Connecting to the iTunes Store" HTML responses.
Meanwhile the status page shows all green: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
Also getting the issue with the receipt validation endpoint responding with 'Connecting to iTunes Store' HTML here, since about an hour ago.
Same here from Germany, started Jan 24, 2020 12:11:01 PM UTC (going on for 3 hours at this point). We get a mix of connection timeouts and service unavailables depending on the actual server answering.
It seems that some, but not all, Apple servers are affected by this (maybe a single DC?). In any case we found that some servers still respond; if you can force your servers to use a different DNS entry (buy.itunes.apple.com is resolving differently for different callers), you might still be lucky enough to get validations. Note however that you should closely monitor this then; if you hardcode IP addresses, these may become invalid at any time so this is a temporary workaround at best. In any case that is just saving a sales event that happens to fall in the middle of our outage, so everyone is grasping at straws probably.
We're experiencing this as well, and it's been ongoing for an hour and a half now. Can we get a response from an Apple Rep on whether this is known, being handled, and when we can expect a resolution?
I have raised a case with Apple Developer Program Support.
They didn't have any insight and wanted screenshots etc which I have sent over
Hello again everyone,
I have send a ticket to feedback assistant if you can also add more I hope they will response soon.Please provide a descriptive title for your feedback:
https://buy.itunes.apple.com/verifyReceipt not responding
Which area are you seeing an issue with?
What type of feedback are you reporting?
Please describe the issue and what steps we can take to reproduce it:
Hello, We are validating receipts from https://buy.itunes.apple.com/verifyReceipt for now we are getting response as timeout or ssl exception. Issue started 24.01.2020 15.10 GMT +3 Thank you
Happening here, too. Ongoing for nearly 4 hours now. Had to scramble this morning to get some patches in to mitigate this disaster for our users. Has anyone heard anything from Apple yet?
Not marked green anymore, for whatever that's worth. Did anyone have a specific IP address for the endpoint that was still working? I did a scan through some of them and didn't find a working one.
Having the same issue in UK since around 12:00. Getting SSL errors and HTML responses coming through instead of the expected JSON response
Same; first occurrence at 2020-01-24 14:23 UTC
It looks like the Apple System Status is back to Green (and was briefly marked "Resolved"). That said, we're still definitely experiencing the issue.
We have been experiencing this problem for the past 4 hours.. I tried reporting it to Apple Support via phone but was not successful.
Still broken when it resolves to the 17.120.254.x range, but working if it resolves to the 17.173.66.x or 17.42.254.x ranges.
"Connecting to the iTunes Store" HTML responses.
Receipt verification failed: jsonDecodeError
Can confirm that we are still experiencing the issue on all our games.
We are also experiencing this issue when hitting the verifyReceipt endpoint, it is returning strange "connecting..." HTML instead of JSON.
Still broken here too. At least the indicator is now green. It would be nice if the HTML error message became JSON again soon.
We're starting to see signs of recovery. The API is returning expected results, and errors are dropping sharply across our monitoring.
Yup. Looks like the problem was fixed 3 minutes before your post.
Anyone else still experiencing these errors/timeouts frequently in the last 2 days?
We've been managing to work around it by using a retry, so its not as persistent as before, but yeah; we're still seing connection resets every now and then, which we did not observe before the outage. A simple retry seems to have solved the issue thus far though.
I don't support issue regarding connections with the App Store verifyReceipt server. When such issues occur, one suggestion is to submit a bug report - App Store engineers don't always view this forum and may not be aware of such server issue. However such a bug report, when properly routed will not be ignored.
To submit a bug report, please use the Apple Developer Feedback web page -
Enter the “Feedback Assistant” page and login
Click on the Compose icon to start a new bug report
Start by clicking on the appropriate OS button - “iOS and iPadOS”, “tvOS”, or “macOS”
1. In the “Descriptive Title” field, enter an appropriate description.
2. In the “Problem Area” field select “App Store”
3. In the “Type of Feedback” select “Incorrect / Unexpected Behavior”
4. In the “Describe the Issue” section enter the following
- application ID
- sandbox or production environment verifyReceipt server
- server console log output showing the verifyReceipt server response
- other evidence of a problem
rich kubota - firstname.lastname@example.org
developer technical support CoreOS/Hardware/MFI
We're experiencing the intermittent "Connection reset by peer - SSL_connect" errors today. I've reported it through Apple Developer Feedback.
Good note, filed a feedback under #7571546 as well to give it some visibility there.
And as a notice for others (also added that to my feedback filing), we're also getting an increased amount of "service unavailable" (HTTP 503) since friday, February 7th, again