Yet Another Notarization Process Strangeness

Fact:

According to the documentation, the notarization process is basically just a way to provide an artifact to Apple so that it can be verified. Any developer account can submit an artifact produced by someone else.

Question:

Is it not totally absurd that the notarization server refuses to process an artifact when the "Paid Applications Schedule" has been modified by Apple and not accepted yet by the account requesting the notarization?

Because :

- notarizing an artifact does not imply it will be distributed or sold through the Mac App Store or App Store. So which connection is there supposed to be with the Paid Applications Schedule?

- anyone else could notarize the artifact.

Replies

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. My best guess is that you’re assuming that notarisation requires that you agree to the Paid Applications Schedule in App Store Connect. That’s not the case. Notarisation requires that you have a paid membership and have agreed to the general developer agreements (specifically, the Apple Developer Program License Agreement).

There are situations where the notary service will incorrectly fail with a “you must … sign the relevant contracts” 1048 error. See this post for my advice on tha front.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

This could be the case you're describing precisely in the post you linked to.

But I still see 2 issues with having the notarization process requiring changes to the Apple Developer Program License Agreement being accepted:

- from what I observed, it was still possible to codesign things. So why should the notarization process be impacted? (N.B. This is not a request to break the codesigning requests too).

- changes to the Apple Developer Program License Agreement can not be anticipated by 3rd party developers. So, blocking the notarization process (until the changes are accepted) will block/break automatic processes that make notarization requests. Without reasonable prior notice.

These are not technical issues, but rather issues related to the developer program. As such, they fall outside the scope of my organisation’s purview. My recommendation is that you take this up with Developer Program Support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"