new updated guidelines for apple store can we develop rest web service based apps?

As per the new app store guidelines : https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=01212020a

Can we have iOS appliations that use rest web service for some of its core features? If apple employees can answer would be better! Even though it mentions HTMl5 i still have doubts! I require this reply urgently and i depent on it for survival!

how can apple decide "Apps that dynamically provide core features and functionality with web technology like HTML5 are best delivered through Safari, rather than through the curated App Store."? Apple has no right to force peoples to use Safari for this! Native applicaiton is more better than web based application!

One cannot put the full code in every ios binary application and it is difficult in maintaining application! Hope apple not stiffiles developer freedom!

If we cannot use rest web service, then it is a very problematic approach and will create problems to innovation! Apple can always review the code that is in server side. It is better to bring server side app store, rather than close the server side applications entirely!

If apple feels server side is creating problems to security and privacy then first stop its iCloud which shares data to FBI or other authorities without user consent!

Apple cannot do over thinking as if they are trying to save peoples! If apple intervenes too much in developer freedom, then it is best to get away from apple eco system. I respect privacy and security but hope apple understands it!

Accepted Reply

If you are a first time new developer, then this has no bearing on your survival. It is important to remember that this policy is aimed strictly at repackaged web sites. They don't have iCloud access. They don't have any native device interaction. They are purely wrapped web site. If that is what you had planned to base your survival on, then Apple is doing you a huge favour. You are always free to develop a native app that delights users in a way that a web page could not. You can even do with with content from a web-based REST server. It just has to be something that is not possible on a web page.

Replies

This is nothing new. Apple has always required that apps be more than just web apps. If you can do your app using a web site, then you should do that. The problem is that Apple hasn't been very good at enforcing its own policies. This seems like Apple is going to start retroactively applying this policy and refusing to allow updates to web apps. This is another problem because app developers often complain that "12 other apps are doing the same thing, why did my app get rejected?" This is evidence that Apple is listening to those concerns and trying to make the app store a level playing field for all developers.

It is Apple's store, so clearly they have a "right" to do anything they want. If any developers don't want to participate, they certainly don't have to. Ironically enough, the best way for a developer to take that stance would be to develop a web app. That makes sense because this policy only applies to apps that could be easily transitioned to a web app. Then, the developer is free from Apple's guidelines and has access to a much larger market.

Thanks for reply! I'm a first time new developer and going to complete my software and this will affect my survival majorly. I planed to do the applicaiton in web site also, later on. But for now it is an ios applicaiton and the core funcitonality are in rest web service. I find native applicaiton is more faster and user support is better. Web there are so many technologies and difficult to get proper support. What about Apples own thing like iCloud, etc., that uses server side? I hope iCloud is kind of rest web service. Are all applications work without interacting with server side?

Native application can access device features but an web applicaiton is more restricted and creates real time issues

If you are a first time new developer, then this has no bearing on your survival. It is important to remember that this policy is aimed strictly at repackaged web sites. They don't have iCloud access. They don't have any native device interaction. They are purely wrapped web site. If that is what you had planned to base your survival on, then Apple is doing you a huge favour. You are always free to develop a native app that delights users in a way that a web page could not. You can even do with with content from a web-based REST server. It just has to be something that is not possible on a web page.

Thanks for reply! Mine is a native application that uses rest web service to do its core functions. I believe native application is the future. We will have one or few OS vendors! Nobody thinks about real time response, reliability, quality and performance ! Only a native application can do that! Web application don't have answer when network goes down! google chrome applications already going to die!
Why we have web application? since there is a war between multiple OS vendors! so we need to have a single interface to satisfy all peoples! Web satisfies currently! this caused a war between multiple web technologyies. The support provided for these web technologies goes out of control, since every few years new one comes up ! It's difficult to find developers! Web applications will exist until native application dominates! Web service will not go that's for sure! IoT can use it and can provide any service! But it's happening!

we have to note that there are two major os vendors like Apples OS's and Google OS's. one For wealthy and other for medium to poor. Those OS vendors already captured most users in world. anybody don't own touch screen phones?
Trend is changing Apple leads it! I'm already started moving codes to mobile!