APFS Encrypted Volume corruption during reboot (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218)

I've not seen this one covered elsewhere, and whilst I've already tried the Feedback Assistant to get it to Apple, I'm not sure if it's being picked up or looked at there...

The problem I've encountered is that whenever I use Disk Utility to create an APFS encrypted volume within a container, it works, but only until I reboot. When I reboot, after looking in I'm prompted for the password for the volume. I'm 100% certain of the passphase I used, but, after entering it the UI "shakes" to indicate the passphrase was wrong. If I try again, either with the same passphrase, or, trying something like my login password, the UI will go away, but, the volume does not mount.

In Disk Utility I get the error:

Could not mount “Data”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218.)

And that's that. I've now lost some data permanently, which is a bit frustrating. I excluded that volume from TimeMachine backups to ensure that there weren't unencrypted copies of the data floating about anywhere (even though my TM volume is encrypted (HFS+, not APFS)).

Sadly, this is 100% repeatable, and I've had it happen a few times. Thankfully, not much data has been lost forever, but, it makes it tough to trust APFS Encryption.

Steps that I took to do this:

1) Had a new HD inserted in my MacPro (2019)

2) Drive was formatted with GUID partition map

3) Initial APFS container created (no encryption)

4) Once Container existed, as well as initial whole-disk-sized APFS volume, I clicked on the Container and "+" to create a new container.

5) Chose APFS Encryption as the FS, generated a passphrase with 1Password, and am certain it's accurate.

6) Volume mounted just fine, was able to read/write data to it no problem

7) Rebooted

And that's where it went off the rails.

Has anyone had better and more reliable experience with APFS Encrypted volumes?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of howyagoin Down vote post of howyagoin
12k views
  • Exact same issue! This is a TOTAL FAILURE on Apple’s part..the last straw for me. After using Apple products for my entire life, I’ve completely lost faith in them as a company. So many errors, inconsistencies, incompatibilities, redundancies, and outright confusion. And now I’ve got lost data that was important enough for me to encrypt..I’m done.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello,

Kind of the same issue is happening here. Encrypted External drive was running ok for a few months, but while I was trying to write a big file on it, started to fail. Then I run the diskutil and now it keep saying I have typed the wrong password (what I 100% sure is not). Besides that, I'm getting the same error code as you here... Please, let me know if you found a solution to recover your data....

Regards.

Can you get to an Apple Store? You're still under warranty so maybe you can get some help there.

Same exact issue. No resolution
Same exact issue. No fix. I keep multiple clones (use CCC), so I just started over. I'm using SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable External SSD Up to 550MB/s USB-C, USB 3.1 btw.

I'm thinking I need to up my clones to 4. Absurd, but this is the second fail. The first one was not like this issue (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218), but a PITA all the same.
  • Make sure your CCC copies are complete. The last time I used CCC to clone and direct transfer, it only copied the top two levels and trashed the source drive. I use to swear by CCC and it was the only app and what it did WAS ingrained in my heart . . .

Add a Comment

Same exact issue. No resolution !!!!

Aktivieren (mount) von „Lacie“ ist fehlgeschlagen. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter-Fehler 49218.) after updating to os Big Sur 11.4.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem???? i would appreciate it a lot.

• I'm having a similar issue - Lacie External hard drive was working fine as a time machine back up and then, suddenly, stopped showing up in my finder. I partitioned the hard drive when I first got it and the partition that is not being used as the time machine back up partition is still showing up, but the other can not be mounted using disk Utility. It is there and can be seen, but can not be mounted. This error is given, "Could not mount “Libby's MacBook backup”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218.)" Not stoked! How to fix this!!

Add a Comment

Same thing. What's really weird is that my iPad Pro reads the disk (Sandisk Ultra II SSD) without a problem, but Big Sur 11.5.2. and previous versions can't mount it, and when trying you get that error de com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter 49218 message.

Any update on this? Thanks

• Yeah me too and I guess an easy way to transfer the data is through an iPad then format it in Disk Utility.

Add a Comment

Same. And I’m waiting for Apple’s reply.

Here’s how it’s happened. After using my MacBook Air 2020 for about one and half month, it’s unable to turn into sleep mode everytime I close it - it just turns off automatically. Visited a local apple store, told me to back up with time machine before handing the laptop to them for a repair.

Then I did it with an old disk I had, which seemed completely fine at that time because I was told that time machine can be run on any disk that functions normally. The disk never had any problem before. I completed the time machine backup in the morning, brought it to the store in the afternoon and showed it to one of the staffs to confirm that I had the backup completed. The disk was working at that time. Then it took about an hour for them to reinstall the system. Right after they completed it, I tried to restore the backup from my disk, which was when the disk started to have problem and show the error code 49218. All my years of research, everything, is on that disk. I couldn’t have possibly imagined that just one day, or an hour, something could go wrong with the back up.

lodged a complaint about apple engineering department and requested either apple recover my data for me or pays for data recovery through a third party. Currently waiting for Apple’s reply on whether the failure has connection with time machine or apple’s side.

Is there any solution to this problem yet? How could this not be resolved from apple by now? (I'm on MacOs V12.0.1. if it helps) In my case the APFS formatted volume cannot mount (same error 49218 code)but if I connect a NTFS formatted drive it gets detected and mounted flawlessly?!

Exactly the same problem here (December 2021)... I can't believe how many people are having this issue. I appear to have lost 4TB of my company's most important video shoot from earlier this year... Lost for words, this is BULL C R A P! APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

Any update?

same error 49218 code for me

Device Identifier:     disk5s2
  Device Node:        /dev/disk5s2
  Whole:           No
  Part of Whole:       disk5

Volume Name:        Extreme SSD
  Mounted:          No

Partition Type:      41504653-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  File System Personality:  Case-sensitive APFS
  Type (Bundle):       apfs
  Name (User Visible):    APFS (Case-sensitive)
  Owners:          Disabled

OS Can Be Installed:    No
  Media Type:        Generic
  Protocol:         USB
  SMART Status:       Not Supported
  Volume UUID:        FsnipA
  Disk / Partition UUID:   FsnipA

Disk Size:         1.0 TB (1000169226240 Bytes) (exactly 1953455520 512-Byte-Units)
  Device Block Size:     4096 Bytes

Container Total Space:   1.0 TB (1000169226240 Bytes) (exactly 1953455520 512-Byte-Units)
  Container Free Space:   59.7 GB (59716292608 Bytes) (exactly 116633384 512-Byte-Units)

Media OS Use Only:     No
  Media Read-Only:      No
  Volume Read-Only:     Not applicable (not mounted)

Device Location:      External
  Removable Media:      Fixed

Solid State:        Yes

This disk is an APFS Volume. APFS Information:
  APFS Container:      disk5
  APFS Physical Store:    disk2s1
  Fusion Drive:       No
  Encrypted:         No
  FileVault:         No
  Sealed:          No
  Locked:          No

+-- Container disk5 F58B0DB5-DC5B-45A3-87A2-F3EA75795DED
  ====================================================
  APFS Container Reference:   disk5
  Size (Capacity Ceiling):   1000169226240 B (1.0 TB)
  Capacity In Use By Volumes:  940452933632 B (940.5 GB) (94.0% used)
  Capacity Not Allocated:    59716292608 B (59.7 GB) (6.0% free)
  |
  +-< Physical Store disk2s1 E1FE17C1-D169-4186-986B-E3370AFF0DD3
  |  -----------------------------------------------------------
  |  APFS Physical Store Disk:  disk2s1
  |  Size:            1000169226752 B (1.0 TB)
  |
  +-> Volume disk5s2 F308C4C3-5371-4A22-BE69-E8A66D820FAA
    ---------------------------------------------------
    APFS Volume Disk (Role):  disk5s2 (Backup)
    Name:           Extreme SSD (Case-sensitive)
    Mount Point:        Not Mounted
    Capacity Consumed:     940245708800 B (940.2 GB)
    Sealed:          No
    FileVault:         No

Running First Aid on “Extreme SSD” (disk5s2)

Repairing file system.
Volume is already unmounted.
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk5s2
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking volume.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
Checking the object map.
Checking the snapshot metadata tree.
Checking the snapshot metadata.
Checking snapshot 1 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-103719.backup)
Checking snapshot 2 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-172951.backup)
Checking snapshot 3 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-182958.backup)
Checking snapshot 4 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-193059.backup)
Checking snapshot 5 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-203035.backup)
Checking snapshot 6 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-212929.backup)
Checking snapshot 7 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-09-223111.backup)
Checking snapshot 8 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-083355.backup)
Checking snapshot 9 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-093342.backup)
Checking snapshot 10 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-103502.backup)
Checking snapshot 11 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-113450.backup)
Checking snapshot 12 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-123353.backup)
Checking snapshot 13 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-133502.backup)
Checking snapshot 14 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-143512.backup)
Checking snapshot 15 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-153419.backup)
Checking snapshot 16 of 16 (com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-12-10-163421.backup)
Checking the extent ref tree.
Checking the fsroot tree.
Verifying allocated space.
The volume /dev/rdisk5s2 appears to be OK.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.

Operation successful.

I've seen this on two external drives multiple times. The drives are APFS, encrypted. If I unplug and replug the device everything returns to normal. But clearly there is an issue with APFS.

hello everyone, I have the same problem on a 5tb WD External drive. He doesn't fit it anymore. I have already tried to connect it to other Macs as well as Windows computers but to no avail.

Has anyone found a solution? I am in contact with the Apple technicians who took the logs from me and I await an answer. Try a data recovery software, it makes sense (like disk drill or similar).

Thanks for the attention

FIXED - NOW I'M GOING ***** 😁

• I have the same problem myself and have spoken to apple. Initially they suggested it's because my time machine was created on Big Sur and I am now on Monterey Beta and it was because I am enrolled in the beta program that the error is ocurring.

So I tested on a none beta Monterey machine (with my apple id signed in for keychain) and it made no difference. Now the suggested solution is to revert back to Big Sur (wipe machine) and try accessing the disk. I can do this, but it seems a bit drastic. So my question is...... How did you fix it?

• Would you mind sharing the solution @Pixalab?

Add a Comment

Same issue here, except that the volumes concerned are not even encrypted… In my case, it happens with a new SanDisk external SSD that I have used very moderately for a few weeks. So it's clearly not a physical device-related issue, it's obviously a software issue connected to APFS.

Incidentally, on this SSD, there are three APFS volumes in one container and if I unplug and replug two times or more, one of the two volumes on the three — one being a Time Machine backup, the other a volume with various files — are successively concerned. The volume that is not concerned by the problem is a CCC backup clone. I don't know what you can make of that…

It shoud be noted that the issue is not specific to macOS 12, it also happens with 11 and 10.15. And many people in the world using macs and external SSDs have faced the problem, see https://bit.ly/3r92xKV

The ball is in Apple's court, they are the only ones who can solve the problem.

Fixed. Same issue but tried out many ways. Downloaded Disk Drill and got back files. However, my case there are thousands of pictures & videos to recover. Folder structure seems failed. It's still running and could open files without paying anything yet. Hope this will help somebody.

There is a solution exFAT fomat but still couldn't find any solution yet for AFPS format.