WCSession transferFile Not Working in Simulator

We are attempting to transfer a file from watch to phone in the simulator using WCSession. Same code was working prior to latest xcode update. Any ideas why this has stopped working in the simulator after the xcode update? Configuration and approach is below...

Configuration:

Mojave 10.14.6, Xcode 11.3.1

iOS target sdk 13.2, watchOS target sdk 6.1

iOS Simulator 13.2.2, watchOS simulator 6.1.1

iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch Series 5

Approach:

Establish WCSession from the watch app to transfer a file from the watch to the phone, session is supported and reachable.

On the watch simulator:

1. Call the transferFile method of WCSession without error. Invoked from the main thread.

2. didFinish fileTransfer delegate invoked (background thread), error is nil

On the phone simulator:

1. didReceive file delegate is never invoked - file is not received by the phone

Supplemental info:

1. sendMessage of WCSession works successfully - phone receives message

2. Used system console to monitor both phone and app, no suspicious errors or faults

3. Fully uninstalled Xcode and Simulator, cleaned all detritus directories/files, restart MAC, reinstalled, same behavior

4. Same code executes successfully on "real" iOS and watchOS devices

5. Checked antivirus software, no quarantines or events interfering

Replies

Same issue here, and I have now lost the ability to compare devices and OS versions which I do not physically hold, as WCSession transferFile is entirely central to my App's usage and basic functionality.

Configuration:

Mojave 10.15.2, Xcode 11.3.1

All Target OS and Simulator OS versions.

All Simulated devices.

YES! This same issue has driven be batty for months. I don't have a workaround unfortunately. Do you have a radar? I figured it would get resolved, but the issue still exists with Xcode 11.4 (11N111s).

BTW, it works fine on the device.

I have exactly the same problem, transferFile does not seem to work at all in simulators for watchOS 6 and iOS 13 but does work on actual physical devices.

Interestingly the same code works without problems for a watchOS 5 and iOS 12 simulator combination, so you could try and older watchOS / iOS simulator combination in case you want to test on simulators.

I am going to file a radar. Was waiting to upgrade to Catalina and xcode 11.4 - now that is done and the problem still exists. I will try watchOS 5 and an ios 12 simulator. Will update this thread once with status.

Thanks.

2020/04/29 This bug still exists.

Indeed it still exists. What a shame. I wasted 2 days trying to debug my code until I realized it does work on the actual device and then I found this thread.

Update - This was filed in feedback assistant on 3/29. No reply from Apple. Now filing a TSI in hope of getting their attention.

I'm having the same problem still. Anyone tried Xcode 12?
Xcode 12 is now out and the problem is still here. This is my radar from March 2020: FB7639842.

Has anyone found a workaround?

Bump update - still an issue. TSI said they do not support simulator issues. What is going on here - did something get deprecated with WCSession? Nobody else reports this problem - very strange.