Xcode 11.3.1 crashing randomly

In the last few days, I've noticed that Xcode is crashing multiple times a day, usually when I compile and run, but sometimes when I change tabs or do other actions. When I relaunch it, it doesn't offer to report the crash to Apple. I am running 11.3.1 (11C504) on MacOS 10.15.2 on an iMac Pro 2017.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Replies

Does it occur on a specific project ?

How often ?

After how much time ?

Did you try to create a new project, to see if this happens as well ?

I develop almost exclusively on a single project, so it went from never happening for it, to happening frequently. It became clear to me that something had changed when it happened three times yesterday, and I only worked a couple of hours. I can start making a log of when it happens and under what conditions.

It would be hard for me to try working in a different project, since I develop full time on my current one. I could try to work on my next feature in a new project, and then port it back to my app, if that would lead to important information.

>Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Devs have had the same general complaint for years, you're not alone..search here for previous threads.

I think Claude's apt suggestion, however, was to troublehsoot by peformaing a simple test that, at least in my case, takes only a few minutes.

Just choose new project, pick the iOS Single View template, name, save, etc. let it open, then with no changes, build to either simulator or a provisioned device. The idea is to do a quick IDE test to see if maybe it's the tools, or, limited to your current working project. Not a big deal to do, helps to bifurcate suspects, and, I believe a reasonable tactic/suggestion/approach given your original comment and request for help here. If the tool crashes with a simple test, one remedy that's helped in the past is to delete Xcode prefs plists in /Library - search here for details. If your project is causing the crash, that is a different conversation, and in my opinon is helped by first proofing your IDE.

If your question was just a general comment about the tools, and you weren't actually looking for specific help here, you might instead feel better filing a bug via the Feedback Assistant, link below, being sure to add your FA # to your thread for reference, thanks and good luck.

You could also try an option-clean build folder, it never hurts.

I am having the same problem and it started happening couple of days ago when XCode update to 11.3.1 (11C504) happened.

Before that, I was on previous version of XCode 11.3.1 (11C29) and I havent had any issues.

Currently on

Catalina 10.15.2

XCode 11.3.1 (11C504)

I originally thought is is Google Chrome since I noticed after opening few tabs in Chrome, everything would freeze. But meanwhile, I stopped using Chrome and I see now that when I build and start my project, it just freezes and crashes eventually my machine.

Of course, I cannot say for sure it is XCode but that is the only thing that changed on my machine since it started happening. But I am new to using Mac and developing on it so I am looking to ways how to ID the culprit and how to fix it.