Notarization issue

So - our marketing department found some developer that created a app. The developer seems to be amateur, as the app was not signed or notarized.

So I just got the 6gb App that I now need to sign and notarize

I have a developer certificate that I signed the app with first through command line, and signing seems ok
Afterwards I tryed to notarize the app, also through command line and the request goes through and is validated from apple

But then when I try open the app afterwards the app crashes at startup with

/Users/kri/EC_Collection_Premiere_AW20_v1_0_0.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Electron Framework Reason: no suitable image found. Did find: /Users/kri/EC_Collection_Premiere_AW20_v1_0_0.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libffmpeg.dylib: code signature in (/Users/kri/EC_Collection_Premiere_AW20_v1_0_0.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libffmpeg.dylib) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.

I am no developer and something seems to be screwed up after this signing I did. Anyone has some idea or is the signing something only the developer should do before the software is created as app.

Replies

I am no developer …

When working with an external contractor I generally recommend that you retain your distribution credentials so that you have ultimate control over what ships to customers. This means you need some workflow whereby your developer gives you a development signed version of your app and then you re-sign in with your distribution credentials before distributing it to customers.

If you’re working with a native Mac app this is a relatively straightforward process. The developer can give you an Xcode archive (

.xcarchive
) which you can distribute via the Xcode Organizer.

Doing this for an Electron app is a much trickier business, and it’s way outside the scope of what a non-developer could be expected to do. My recommendation is that you have your developer create this workflow for you. For example, they might sent you an Xcode archive and a shell script, where the shell script takes the Xcode archive, exports the app for distribution, signs it using your credentials, and finally creates the distribution medium (the final zip archive, disk image, or whatever).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"