9 Replies
      Latest reply on Jan 12, 2020 8:57 PM by PBK
      shadowstar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to give an exclusive 25% discount to my email subscribers. How do I do that?

• Re: How do I give a discount to a specific set of users for a subscription to my app?
          PBK Level 7 Level 7 (3,435 points)

You can't.  Apple has no way of assuring that you aren't selling that 25% discount.  And in fact you are if you charge for that email subscription.

You could provide a limited number of promo codes for the entire cost of the IAP.  A bit of a kludge, but you could have an IAP("IAP1") that unlocked the opportunity to buy a second IAP ("IAP2") where IAP2 did the same thing as "IAP3".  IAP1 could cost 25% of IAP3 and IAP2 could cost 25% less than IAP3.  You could then give away a promo code for IAP1 that did the same thing as provide a 25% discount for IAP3 in the guise of IAP2.

You can provide (for free) content to such users through a 3.1.3(a) reader app component within your app and you might be able to operate under 3.1.3(b) for other content. 

• Re: How do I give a discount to a specific set of users for a subscription to my app?

Hey, I really appreciate you trying to help me. I got a little lost on the IAP discussion. What does IAP stand for? Also, how could I sell 25% of something if I never receive that 25% from the customer? I’m earnestly asking because I am confused by this. I’ve owned businesses before, and I have always been able to give discounts to customers whenever I have wanted to. Why is it now being made to seem somehow criminal to do so in this case?

PBK Level 7 Level 7 (3,435 points)

There are two ways of 'selling' an app.  The initial purchase price and then any In App Purchases (IAP) that the user makes subsequent to downloading the app.   IAPs are made, obviously, in the app. 

If you don't know what an IAP is, then your question was related to the original sale price of the app.  If you have email subscribers then one solution is to tell all your email subscribers that the app will be available, for a limited time only, at a 25% discount.  Launch the app at price X.  Wait a week and raise the price to X +25%. 

But who are your "email subscribers"?

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,405 points)

Good on you for wanting to be creative, but I don't see a simple enough method from Apple that supports your scheme, at least one that you can rely on implementing without tieing yourself in knots, etc.. You don't state a goal that drives your idea...why you want to give that discount to that group, specifically. Knowing that might help others to solidify assurances either way, so...

Thank you. But “scheme” makes me feel like I am doing something wrong?? All I want to do is offer my pre-launch subscribers a discount?? Why is this so criminal? Lol I am so confused by all of this...why is it so complicated? Can’t an honest business owner simply give his customers a discount? :/ I was simply trying to get email subscribers, so I wanted to offer a strong incentive for people to take the time to sign up.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,405 points)

Sorry, not meant in that context, so if the word 'scheme' makes you uncomfortable I apologize. I would normally prefer to say 'method', but in this work, method carries a defined meaning, so... Pretend I said 'proposal' if you like. Otherwise, don't worry, if I thought someone -was- proposing something criminal, I wouldn't be vague about it   Have to say, if this casual conversation makes you feel like a crook, I can't wait to hear your reaction to your first rejection from App Review.

You're still making a generalized pitch, tho. -Why- do you want to get email subscribers? Is that a requirement as part of an overall business plan? Are you looking to link users as part of a branding campaign so you can better sell the app, or other products? Is it just a way to harvest email addresses that can then be leveraged by you or someone you've parterned with? Is there a quota behind a larger plan that needs to be satisfied? What type of business are you trying to promote?

Knowing those details may prompt suggestions that can help you reach your goal. IAP stands for 'In App Purchase'. It may provide the 'discounts' aka incentives, aka push you're looking for...or not, it all depends on the details, your skill, goals and expectations.

Still not clear if you're asking how to discount the app in the store, or simply hand out digital discounts/coupons/special offers to your app's users...

If you're just wanting an app in the store so you can market your business, you may get pushback during review, by the way. Be sure your drive to market your business doesn't overshadow what you can provide for your mobile users coming to the store - the ASRG's 4.2.2 is an indication of what review frowns on in that context.

Good luck.

Ok, thank you. I really appreciate your candor on all of this. It sounds like explaining what I am doing is paramount to the situation, so I am happy to oblige. I didn’t say in the beginning because I truly wasn’t trying to just ask a general question that might be answered no matter what kind of app it was,  but I am learning that that is simply not the case, apparently. I am a theatre Actor, and I hired app developers to create a Broadway Mentoring App called, Shadow Star, connecting aspiring performing artists with Broadway mentors. The business is the app. I do not have a business that I am trying to promote with an app...the business literally is the app. It will be a subscription based membership (yearly or monthly), and then they will pay per session to have in-app video or in-person mentoring sessions (“in-app”, I suppose, is what that is called). I wanted to get pre-launch subscribers because then I could remind them directly when the app was about to launch. Isn’t this fairly common? Everything I read about marketing these days tells you “you have to get subscribers to do direct marketing to”. It makes sense to me? Does Apple frown upon having subscribers? I’m so very confused about why this seems questionable at all to anyone. I have been trying to do everything by the book and follow all the rules. I have always been used to being able to give my customers in my other business discounts when I want to, so I just figured I would be able to do that with this new business (the Broadway mentoring app I have created). I hope that explanation shows that I am honest and not trying to do anything suspect here. I just wanted to provide my customers a discount as a reward for them to early subscribe so that I could try to ensure a successful launch with excited users who would download my app and pay for the yearly subscription. Completely up and up. I hope that helps give a clearer picture, and I hope to possibly get some sort of hope from someone about how to provide a discount.