AutoRenew Subscription Boilerplate

Folks;

I have a set of auto renewable subscriptions working for iPhone and iPad.

I'm now beginning to explore all the nooks and crannies of delivering a localized version of the product.

The UI aspect seems pretty straightforward.

In the case of auto-renewables my best understanding is that the app needs to display information per Schedule 2 of the Paid Applications Developer Agreement... My app contains the following boilerplate language:

"This is an auto-renewing subscription. A payment will be charged to your account at the end of your 3 day free trial. Your subscription will automatically renew unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for the renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your @account settings@ on the App Store after purchase. For more information please see our @TermsOfService@ and @PrivacyStatement@."

My recollection is that this language was specifically required and reviewed by App Store Review.

The '@' designates a hyperlink will be rendered at that text to provide access to the developer website.

Is there any means that Apple can provide localized versions of the required boilerplate?

I guess I'm not confident that a random translation service would render something that would pass Apple's legal inspection.

For example, go the App Store and examine the 'Terms and Conditions' document and review the 'Subscriptions' entry.

Since Apple is requiring that the app internally provide this information in order that the user is fully informed it would seem reasonable that they could provide different text for different markets. (It would appear that they already do via the 'Terms and Conditions' mentioned above.) It seems to me that a more efficient solution to this whole issue it provide a mechanism for Apple to supply text (the 'Subscription' secction) which adequately describes the subscription information to the satisfaction of Apple legal - if this were the case then a standard boilerplate could be supplied and everyone would be better served... As it is the user is faced with a myriad of different stated and translated texts that may read quite differently and require an onerous effort to understand ...

Any thoughts or reflections appreciated.

Steve

Replies

Any thoughts or reflections appreciated.

1) I don't think you need to localize the language. I think English will do.

2) I suspect (just IMHO) that there are complex legal implications regarding whether or not the warning language is "written" by the individual developer or by Apple. For example, who is the actual 'seller' and do they have 'market power' such that there are anti-trust implications. I suspect that were Apple to provide more than "guidance", as they are doing, they would be affecting their standing with regards to such laws and regulations.

Steve:

Assuming the disclaimer is part of the iTunes/App Store user-facing ULA, and thus already in existance, you may want to either contact support directly via the link above with a languages list in hand, and make a request. You might also be able to obtain that content from DTS, via Account/Member Center, keeping in mind they tend to want to do code-level support only.

You could also make that request to app review via that app's meta data 'notes' field when submitting the app to ASC.

It may be that pointing the (non-EN) user to the ULA noted above would suffice, but that's only my opinion. Might be another question put to support. Politely ask to be handed off/up to an SME if necessary. Don't let them send you back here to devForums, in any case 😉

I would -not- use translated material from a 3rd party.

Ken