loadChallengableFriends( ) error on iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.4)

I am using the following method to obtain a list of GameCenter "friends" and it returns a list of player names on my iPhone 8 ( iOS 13.3 )

loadChallengableFriends(completionHandler: )

When this method is called on an iPhone 6 ( iOS 12.4.4), I get the following error relating to the "loadChallengableFriends( )" method

loadChallengableFriendsWithCompletionHandler:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException',

reason: '-[GKLocalPlayerInternal loadChallengableFriendsWithCompletionHandler:]:

unrecognized selector sent to instance

I was informed the iPhone 6 models no longer receive updates from Apple so this iPhone 6 is stuck at iOS 12.4.4 version.

Since the loadChallengableFriends( ) method works on the iPhone 8 (iOS 13.3) and does not work on the iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.4), I was thinking perhaps this method does not exist in iOS 12+

The Apple documentation indicates the following for all of the "friends" methods I could find:

a) loadChallengableFriends( ) SDK iOS 13+

b) loadFriendPlayers( ) SDK iOS 8.0 - 10.0 (deprecated)

c) loadFriends( ) SDK iOS 4.1- 8.0. (deprecated)

Questions

1) Do I interpret the "SDK iOS 13+" statement to mean the loadChallengableFriends( ) method does not exist before iOS 13?

2) What method do we use to find "friends" between "iOS 10 and iOS 13" then ? Perhaps this is not supported durine that time?