Apple Business Manager. How do we revoke a code or license? We are not using a MDM

The small dev company that I work for has been contracted to build an app for client. This client is using Apple Business Manager and wants us to publish to it.

I have built the app and deployed it for review to the Apple Connect. It passed and I see it is now in the client's Apple Business Manager account.

Here is where I am confused. Our client DOES NOT have a MDM. How can I use Apple Business Manager in this case?

Initially I thought I could simply use redemption codes, but now I see that this is not going to work, as redemption codes are similar to "gift cards" that we give out to people. Unless I am mistaken, there is no way to manage them and revoke them when we need so.

It seems that the only way to manage the licenses is to implement a MDM (like Mobile Iron, etc.), but this seems like a lot of work. There must be another way. What about contractors that require a corporate app? Surely, there has to be a way to use the Managed Licensing aspect of ABM without using a MDM.

How can use ABM to do "managed licensing" without our client(s) having a MDM. Is there a way that I can revoke a redemption code once I have issued it?

Replies

As you found you can't revoke a VPP code as it's essentially a gift card code for a particular app. As the name would indicate though, using managed apps requires managed devices, thus the MDM requirement.

While it is possible to assign licenses directly to Apple IDs, I've not checked to see if you can do the same for devices. In either case I don't know of any shipping management products that will let you assign VPP without also using MDM.

Most cases where I've seen code-based distribution work because they don't care if the app is out there. In those deployments access to any information is gated by user authorization, not just having the app.