Editor glitch when editing near end of long file

In XCode 7 beta 4 on the latest El Capitan developer preview (and previous version as well), the XCode editor is nearly unusable when editing near the end of a long Swift file: when making edits in the last few screenfuls of a ~1000 line file, especially if copypasting code or deleting lines but also while just typing, the editor constantly jumps to a different position. Sometimes this even happens so that the text rendering glitches and shows the old position text but new position line numbers in the gutter, and one has to "paint" the screen with the selection to reveal the actual text corresponding to the editor location.

Replies

Hi, Arkku.

Have you found a solution?

I have been suffering the same problem.

This is a total disaster. I don't understand how Xcode development team can not realize this serious and critical problem for that long.

I mean, this problem has happened during all the releases of Xcode 6.4 and Xcode7 beta1, beta2, beta3, beta4, beta5.

But every time new Xcode update version released, I just found out new Xcode has same problem.

I did a little more digging.

After I turned off the option [Show live issues], the problem gone.

The [Show live issues] is located in

Xcode > Preferences > General

But I am not sure this problem will happen again or not.

Same for me. Once a file gets over ~1000 lines the editor is almost unusable. I turned off autocompletion and show live issues and it helps a little but is still unusable.

this bug still happens in the latest version of Xcode 8.3.2 my swift files got 300 lines, the bug happens very frequently.

I have files with nearly 10 000 lines, no problem. Both on 7.3 and 8.3.

So the issue is probably not linked to the file size.