HKWorkoutConfiguration error 550 Unable to launch watch app

We're trying to use the HKWorkoutConfiguration API to launch our watch app from the parent iPhone app, but we seem to be getting this error a lot. We're trying to understand what it means and what we can do about it. Whenever it happens, the watch app fails to launch when we start a workout on the iOS counterpart app.

There was an issue starting the workout via HKWorkoutConfiguration(). Error: Error Domain=com.apple.healthkit Code=550 "Unable to launch watch app" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to launch watch app} ||

Replies

I've had some success with this. Out of curiosity, how soon after you deploy the iPhone app do you attempt to launch the watch app? I've noticed when deploying with Xcode to iPhone that the watch app isn't immediately installed.

You can check this by viewing all apps and see the watch app icon fill the pie as it installs. Could this be what you were experiencing? Another trick, put both devices in airplane mode, delay, disable airplane, then use your watch to "ping" your iPhone. Seems to have done the trick sometimes too.

So this is for cases where the app has been installed on a user's watch for a long period of time. I do suspect that this could be tied to an installation issue too though. But at least in this case I think we've waited an appropriate amount of time for install to complete (and the app does consider it self to be installed because the app is launchable on the user's watch).