How many percent of your non canceled subscriptions enter billing retry instead of gets converted to standard price?

Hi,

Roughly 60% of our non canceled subscriptions enter billing retry and 40% gets converted to standard price. I'm curious to hear how this figure looks for other developers :-)

All the best,

T

Replies

Hi Tadome, I've seen 7% to 40% in billing retry for a relatively new app from a couple of years ago. These numbers seem very high and I haven't been able to figure out why. Especially given that 2019 WWDC video say involuntary churn across the platform has been reduced due to billing retry from 5.1% in 2017 to 1.6% in 2019. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/302

Someone speculated that it might be users want to unsubscribe but can't figure out how so they remove the payment information. I'm not sure this is the case.

Do you know why your app has such high billing retry rates? As background, does your app have a lot of subscribers?

thanks, D.

Our users are mostly aged 18-24 so that might be one reason for it. We have around 9k subscribers in total and most of them are from the US.

Maybe it's more common having "through away" debit cards with 0 balance in the US than other parts of the world. In most countries in Europe the banks are charging a yearly fee for every debit card. I'm not sure about the US and what fees are applied by the banks there.

Our app is quite clear on how the users unsubscribe so I don't think the users would remove their payment information instead of just unsubscribing. Almost all of our billing retries are free trials which haven't been canceled and then enters billing retry.

That the involuntary churn across the platform has been reduced due to billing retry from 5.1% in 2017 to 1.6% in 2019 doesn't reflect our experience at all. It's probably people who keep subscriptions for long and therefore have multiple renewals which lowers the total. If Apple would count how many free trials enters billing retry the numbers would probably look different.

• Hello, Have you figured out about the billing issue? Which type of the app it was ?

Add a Comment

Our issue is very similar to what’s described here. When we look at subscriptions, we see billing retry event state with about 60%+ since launch of the app(5Months).

We looked at different countries ranging from United States to Saudi Arabia. Similar apps have less than 15% of billing retry event.

Is there something in our in app purchase implementation that is causing this high rate?

What could be the reason?

@Tadome if you could be able to resolve your issue, I would appreciate if you could reply here.