Update with several El Capitan Beta stuck at 108 MB. Booting in Safe mode won't help. Any hints?

Hi guys,

I'm currently on El Capitan Beta 4 and as with beta 3->4 with the upgrade to beta 5 I'm not able to download the update.

Previous answers suggests to run the update from Safe Mode, but with no luck.

Any hints?

Replies

Hi I have a similar issue in part but my system stalled after download and after rebooting to install the status bar stopped at approx 60%. I've tried the alt-option method also holding down the shift key to boot in safe mode. I have also tried using my back-up disk all with the same result. All start ups show my main HDD and the recovery and when the back- up is connected that shows up to on the start up screen. The problem is they all hang at the same point. I haven't tried downloading and trying to install via USB as yet. Has anyone got any suggestions and thanks in advance

Hi, there.

I have the same problem - my MacBook Air (2013) was stuck in the middle of the instalation of new update.

I tried to reboot but unfortunately it hasn't given anything.

Now i can't use my laptop and it makes me sad.

Maybe you know how to resovle this problem?

I've tried everything in this thread to get past the 108MB freeze and haven't succeeded with any of it. Downloading the update directly right now and will see if this will work.

Quite frustrating.

The running the firmware thing worked for me.

I think I had something similar last year going from the public betas to the release version and fixed that by downloading the standalone combined updated (which for generations of Mac software has been the cure to many ills).

Spoke too soon 😉 That got me past the 100MB+ sticking point, then it stuck at 500MB+ (the recovery partition update). So I installed that and it got stuck at 100MB+ again. I've now reinstalled the firmware one and am trying again wondering if I'm in a loop. I'm fairly sure at some point I'm going to try a combined standalone updater if I can find it 😉

And there doesn't seem to be a combined updater yet - I think I'll have to wait until the regular release comes out and download the combo updater then