How do I iterate through an array to add 1 to the variable every time the loop runs?

I have an array of strings and I am populating a table view with the array data. I want the table view to display 1 in the first row, 2 in the second row, 3 in the third row. I have done this before but it is not working now. Every time I run the app, it displays the number of elements in the array in every row. What am I doing wrong?

func numPick() -> Int {

var num: Int = 0

for _ in myRoster! {

num+=1
        }
        return num
    }

Accepted Reply

I have an array of strings

I gather it is myRoster ?

Please, show how you use it in tableView to populate cells.

If I understand correctly what you want, what you should simply do:

func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) -> UITableViewCell {

let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(withIdentifier: "CellID", for: indexPath)

// Configure the cell...
        cell.textLabel!.text = "\(indexPath.row+1)" + myRoster![indexPath.row]

return cell
    }

I don't understand what numPick() is used for.

The way you compute, it just returns the number of items in myRoster (you add 1 to num for each item in myRoster!), so necessarily the same value in all cases.

for _ in myRoster! { 
            num+=1 
        }

maybe what you intended was to count till a certain position that you would pass as argument ?

but that would be equivalent to return the input parameter (may be incremented by 1). That would also be totally useless.

Replies

I have an array of strings

I gather it is myRoster ?

Please, show how you use it in tableView to populate cells.

If I understand correctly what you want, what you should simply do:

func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) -> UITableViewCell {

let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(withIdentifier: "CellID", for: indexPath)

// Configure the cell...
        cell.textLabel!.text = "\(indexPath.row+1)" + myRoster![indexPath.row]

return cell
    }

I don't understand what numPick() is used for.

The way you compute, it just returns the number of items in myRoster (you add 1 to num for each item in myRoster!), so necessarily the same value in all cases.

for _ in myRoster! { 
            num+=1 
        }

maybe what you intended was to count till a certain position that you would pass as argument ?

but that would be equivalent to return the input parameter (may be incremented by 1). That would also be totally useless.

Yes, it worked by + 1 to indexPath.row in cellForRowAt.

So I don't have to run a for loop to add 1 to the row every time?

I used numPick() as a function to hold the integer for the number of row.

This is what my table view looks like:

let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(withIdentifier: "cell", for: indexPath as IndexPath)

cell.textLabel?.text = "\(numPick())" + (myRoster?[indexPath.row])!
        cell.textLabel?.adjustsFontSizeToFitWidth = true
        cell.textLabel?.font = UIFont.systemFont(ofSize: 22)

return cell
    }

So I don't have to run a for loop to add 1 to the row every time?

No, you don't need.

And in could not work that way: numPick() has no information on which row it applies to. So, it could not return a value speific to this row.

Wish you good continuation.