WebKit Bug IOS 13.2-13.3

Hello everyone,

I have been getting the follow console error message "

2019-12-12 12:10:47.867830+0200 (...) [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
" when debugging an app in xCode.

After researching what was causing it I found the cause on Stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58321114/why-i-get-the-console-warning-process-kill-returned-unexpected-error-1-when

I contacted support (if you can call it that) with this information asking when they were going to fix it only to be directed here to ask about it, which makes no sense as I don't see how other users can tell me when they are going to fix it if they can't.

With that said here I am hoping that someone here can help as Unity ads serves their ads with WebKit so the method I use to monetize my apps is going to be the reason they won't get through review.

Thanks

Alan

Accepted Reply

For anyone finding this, I got a reply of sorts from Apple through the Feedback Assistant.

They say that a potential fix has been identified for a future OS update.

That doesn't give a timeframe but at least they are aware of it and looking to fix it as of - 18 December 2019

Replies

follow console error message "

2019-12-12 12:10:47.867830+0200 (...) [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
" when debugging an app in xCode.

I doubt this is the complete error message !

Please don't truncate this important information, it makes investigation impossible.

Never expect Apple to tell you if and when they are going to fix what you suspect as a bug.

Unity ads serves their ads with WebKit

Are you using third party framework (as Unity) ? If so, you should ask them. Apple support will not dig into third party code.

PS: how are you sure it is a webkit bug, as stated in the post title ?

Hey Claude,

The error isn't truncated I just havn't posted 100's of the same error with the only difference being the timestamp.

And yes it only becomes an issue when ads are added to a project which use webkit, so it is them asking the OS for something that is then throwing an error which wasn't the case in previous versions of iOS.

Lastly in my opinion asking Apple for a timeframe isn't unreasonable when a bug is so wide ranging and affect the amount of people and apps that one like this is..

Alan

Have you checked that the version of Unity is on par with the OS version ?

It's the same Unity and Unity Package versions as my other apps, it's only become an issue with iOS 13.2 and 13.3, I waited for the update to see if it fixed it.

For anyone finding this, I got a reply of sorts from Apple through the Feedback Assistant.

They say that a potential fix has been identified for a future OS update.

That doesn't give a timeframe but at least they are aware of it and looking to fix it as of - 18 December 2019

Hello,

Is there any progress on this bug? We have an enterprise app developed with Ionic 3. It is distributed via Microsoft Intune. Since iOS 13.2, we have the following:

• When the app is installed via Intune, it doesn't load correctly and we get the famous "
    kill() returned unexpected error 1
    " log.
  • When the app is installed directly on the device the app works perfectly, althought we get the same error log.

In iOS < 13.2, it works without problems (with or without Intune).

We've tried using UIWebview temporarily, nevertheless it's not a good solution for us because it would requiere too many visual adaptations.

Any suggestion or information about the bug fix date are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

No, I just asked for an update myself as they said "Potential fix identified - For a future OS update" before and it didn't come in this latest iOS 13.3.1 Patch.

Its getting beyond silly as I pay for a developer licence but am unable to get an app(game) with adverts published as the adverts use WebKit and seeing as thats how that specific app is monetised I'm starting to wonder if there is any recourse for this as it has been several months.