Starting with iOS 13, opening a file in iCloud fails with: Code=256 "The file couldn’t be opened."

Starting with iOS 13 I'm receiving error reports from users that cannot open their iCloud documents anymore. The error is each time:

Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 "The file “Untitled.txt” couldn’t be opened." UserInfo={NSURL=file:///private/var/mobile/Library/Mobile%20Documents/iCloud~com~myapp/Documents/Untitled.txt}

Code 256 means: NSFileReadUnknownError

Restarting the device solves the problem each time, but I get a lot of error reports.

My app does check the availability of iCloud documents (it uses file coordination and UIDocument). This used to work fine before iOS 13.

Has anybody seen a similar issue? What could be causing this and how could I collect more useful debug information to get to the bottom of this?

Replies

I have a same problem in my device.

Stackoverflow issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59468902/icloud-uidocument-opening-fails-after-update-on-ios-13

I filed a DTS request and it seems to be an issue with iCloud Drive. The fix is supposed to come with iOS 13.3. For reference:

< Radar://58360472>