2 Replies
      Latest reply on Dec 3, 2019 1:26 AM by eskimo
      JoyEllen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We use rsync to backup a user's documents to a network share and I seem to have run into an issue having it run at login.

I can run the script below,  at the terminal prompt, without root access, and the rync command will run without error and I will get a successful backup on the network share:

rsync -rltgoD  --progress --no-p --delete --cvs-exclude ~/Documents /Volumes/dfs/"$adOU"/"$loggedInUser"/"$computerName"

When I add that command to be run by Enterprise Connect after a successful login, it fails with the following error message:

building file list ...

0 files...

rsync: opendir "/Users/<USERNAME>/Documents" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

1 file to consider

IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

Currently running 10.15.1

Thank you for any advice.

• Re: Rsync and operation not permitted
          JoyEllen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Update to this thread.  This script runs fine under High Sierra, as a script that runs after a successful Enterprise Connect login to the server.  It appears this is only happening under Catalina.

• Re: Rsync and operation not permitted
            eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,455 points)

This is a consequence of new user privacy protections in macOS 10.15.  See WWDC 2019 Session 701 Advances in macOS Security for all the details.  As a user, you can grant access to the tool by adding it to the list in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"