NSDocument Revert Window

I have an NSDocument base app that used the Revert To saved function. It all works like it should but one nagging issue that I have wanted to solve for quite some time has now made its way to my to do list. From what I can figure out and observe, it seems like when you go into Revert and browse versions, every version (and there could be a lot of them) is created with the same document/windowController/Window/etc. that is used to create a normal document when launching the app. My app has a lot of stuff associated with each window which is totally unneeded when browsing the versions.

My question(s) then are as follows:

1. Is is possible to specify and use a different document/windowController/window setup for browsing and then capture the text from that setup if the user decides to revert to that version?

2. Is there any detailed documentation that lays out the finer details for what happens when it goes into the browse versions and exits it? I suspect that NSDocumentController has a lot of say in this process but I haven't been able to find much information.

I mostly looking for insights, ideas, etc. but any code snippets in Obj C are appreciated.

Thank you.