Mixed swift in workspace

Help,

I've been handed an Xcode workspace that contains projects in Swift 3 and other projects in Swift 5.

If I open the workspace in Xcode 10.3 or later, it says that the Swift 3 projects aren't supported anymore and I should open them in Xcode 10.1.

If I open the workspace in Xcode 10.1, it doesn't recognize the Swift 5 project and refuses to do the migration. If I try to open the Swift 3 projects individually, they won't build due to dependencies on other projects, and Xcode won't migrate them.

I appear to be stuck. How do I fix this?

Replies

WIth what you describe, I cannot understand how you managed at first to include swift3 and swift5 projects.

Why can't you redo the same, but after converting Swift3 projects ?

I don't understand it either. As I mentioned, I was handed this project. I didn't create it or get it into this state myself.

I assume you cannot ask to the orginal developer… Too simple.

Can you open each file individually ?

Thus, I would try the following.

• Work on a copy of the project.
  • Then for those in Swift3, you would first comment out everything except declarations
  • `Then try to reopen the project.
  • And now uncomment to get errors from compiler and correct.

If I try to open the Swift 3 projects individually, they won't build due to dependencies on other projects, and Xcode won't migrate them.

Are the dependencies circular? If not, you should be able to form a tree of dependencies and migrate up from the leaves.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"